Coconut and Palm oils as a Engine Lubrication Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started a job last week in a new company and have been pouring over peer reviewed publications - I have been surprised to learn how effective coconut and palm oils are in engine lubrications. Some publications show them to be more effective than mineral and syn. based motor oils.

Unfortunately, I cannot directly quote what I have reviewed in 2009 publications since I am legally obligated by a non-disclosure agreement, but here is some basic info I found in a quick web search. Thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Just some food for thought. Im not trying to convince anyone on anything, just found it interesting - thats all.

"Coconut oil has been tested for use as an engine lubricant; the producer claims the oil reduces fuel consumption, smoke emissions and allows the engine to run at a cooler temperature.[54] As an engine lubricant, coconut oil performs better than mineral based engine oil in terms of lubricity, smoke point, flash point and resistance to oxidation. It also dissolves carbon deposits left in the engine by mineral based engine oils. The dissolved carbon burns easily during the combustion process. It is not the fuel that leaves the majority of carbon deposits, but mineral based lubricants. It is found that engines treated with coconut oil as an oil additive produce no more or less smoke than without coconut oil.

Engine maintenance costs are reduced when compared to the use of mineral based engine lubricants. Coconut oil is also cheaper, lasting more than a year of use in a vehicle driven daily. In Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines, more and more vehicle owners have shifted to using coconut oil or palm oil as an engine lubricant. Not only is it cheaper and more abundant, it is far superior to the expensive engine lubricants available on the market today
."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

"The effect of palm oil diesel fuel contaminated lubricant on sliding wear of cast irons against mild steel"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob...7203cdd3d9ac535

http://www.americanpalmoil.com/pdf/Ilija Gawrilow.pdf

Last edited:
Any oils that come from plants are triglycerides, that is a tri-ester of three moecules of fatty acid with one molecule of glycerol. So every molecule has three ester linkages to give aome bolarity to the molecule. Some oils, like castor oil, bring extra functionality along . Castor brings a free -OH group on every fatty acid. This has made castor oil an excellent lube oil over the years. I believe it is the origin of the name "Castrol".

But as oilyriser pointed out, things are not all where we would want them to be. The pour point is high; coconut oil is a white waxy solid in a cool room. Bacteria love these oils as they are natural materials and double bonds in the side chains react. This is the basis of linseed oil hardening or "drying" when used to make paint.

All in all, it is probably better to just engineer molecules that have the right properties and use them rather than trying to heavily modify something to get it work "reasonably well."

when i started using MOTUL 300V 20w50 in my hd in the early '90s, the distributors told me that it was coconut oil based. no one ever believed me

If fuel does not cause the majority of carbon deposits, how come carbon is on valves, combustion chambers, and piston tops?
Certainly it's not primarily from oil.

Think about DI engines...they are getting gunked up valves because of oil and oil only since fuel doesn't even come near the valves. The pcv system is putting oily vapor back into the intake system pre valves and it is gunking them up. Fuel actually acts to clean the oily/carbon residue on valves.

Coconut oil is highly saturated, one of the few vegetable oils that are. You can't make an air dry paint with it. I would still be dubious about it in my crankcase, but a far better choice than the soybean based oils people keep posting about.

Originally Posted By: labman
Coconut oil is highly saturated, one of the few vegetable oils that are. You can't make an air dry paint with it. I would still be dubious about it in my crankcase, but a far better choice than the soybean based oils people keep posting about.

I agree bad pour point and oxidation problems it will not last through a ASTM or API oxidation routine as in SL or SM BUT it will have very good lubricity but that does no good it engine is gunked up with varnish and sludge.
IMHO.
bruce

RLI 0w30 has a pour point of -46'c, flash point of 240'c and a VI of 193. With these sort of figure, i don't think that vegetable oils is that bad for engine lubricant.

What Boomer, Labman, and Bruce said.
thumbsup2.gif

Motuls' reference to their product being "coconut oil based" probably means they used a synthetic POE made with C8C10 acid, which is derived from coconut oil.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Trex101
RLI 0w30 has a pour point of -46'c, flash point of 240'c and a VI of 193. With these sort of figure, i don't think that vegetable oils is that bad for engine lubricant.

Check the mouth of a linseed oil, sunflower oil etc. bottle, versus even the most rubbish mineral oil after being opened, closed and poured a few times.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Jojoba.

Somewhere in the 80's Amsoil put out a publication that showed that it beat M1 in a number of categories. Jojoba beat all of them (like a 30 oil list).

But I can't figure how any bio based oil can be abundant unless it was corn oil ...and that's probably more suitable as a fuel. I don't think there's enough land to fit enough jojoba or palm trees to ever make it work.

I note that the countries that the first article listed as using coconut oil for engine lubrication are in temperate (indeed tropical) climates. I suspect pour point is less of an issue in these areas. Now, oxidation and bacterial activity on the other hand might be real issues. I suppose you could dose it good with some penicillin to keep the bugs knocked down :) .

there have been some patents posted on the RLI looks like they use PAO and HOBS.
would also need perhaps small amount of ester or other "solubilizer" added since PAO and seed oils have lousy addiitve solubility.
bruce

Last edited:
"In Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines, more and more vehicle owners have shifted to using coconut oil or palm oil as an engine lubricant."

LOL! I live in Malaysia. I've never heard or seen a coconut oil or palm oil-based engine oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back