Coastal 75w-90 GL-4 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX which needs GL-4. It will eat up the synchros if GL-5 is used. I read lots of posts on the internet raving about Coastal 75w-90 working great because it has a multi-rating (GL-3, GL-4, GL-5).

I went to autozone and all I could find is Coastal 75w-90 with a big GL-5 on the front and no indication of that multi-rating!

The part number is 15901.

Can this be used safely in my tranny if it is long known that GL-4 is required?

Thank you!

I found a GL-4 75-90w only lube for my kids Tacoma (Amsoil). Personally it shifts WAY better without any GL-5 additives and it can use both Gl-4 or 5. Best shifting was with GM Synchomesh which is a GL-4 and wow that stuff does work great but I felt it was too thin for warmer months...... If that was designed for Gl-4 I would stay clear of any GL-5 lubes.

I have had excellent luck with the Redline Transmission oils.
May also try Amsoil.
And I would not use a pure GL-5 in a transmission that specs GL-4 only.
Ken

Thanks for the posts. At one time, Coastal was supposed to be compliant for all 3. Does anyone know if that has changed?

I like to get stuff locally when I can

If this stuff truly is GL-5 there is no way that I am going to put it in my tranny.

I have used Synchomesh in the past but autozone has only one quart and Advanced Auto only has one quart.

I guess I will just bite the bullet and wait for it if I have to.

dx92beater, I remember their old label used to say something like: "Recommended for GL-3, GL-4, GL-5 and MT-1"

Best bet is to contact them:

http://www.warrenunilube.com/contacts.html

If you are looking for a cost effective GL-4, Chevron Delo 400 is excellent and GL-4 compatible 80W-90 (About $5-6 per quart). In Virginia, I doubt you'll know the difference between a 80W-90 and a 75W-90.

Question is, is it available in your area?

Called up and they advised that it is still GL-4 compatible but that due to marketing they won't put it on the label. It is apparently a big internal debate as well.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would use Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90. Order it online!
If you want a little better shifting, you can use a 75w85 GL4(available at Nissan/Kia/Hyundai/GM/Dodge dealers).

If you want to stick with what is available locally, go to Napa and get the Stalube 85w90 GL4 along with a bottle of Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement. Other locally available and acceptable 75w90's would be the Valvoline(VV820) or Supertech synth-blend, either dosed with Lubegard Supplement.

I would not use Synchromesh as it is too thin. I would want to protect that transmission as these vehicles tend to be modded.

Non-LSD GL5's can be used, like Redline 75w90NS or Motul Gear300.

The multi-rating of most generic GL5's is a farce and shouldn't be the only thing you're looking at when shopping for the gear oil.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement

Hey unDummy,what exactly does this stuff do and what is it?

GL5 oils made the shifting of the Muncie SM420 in my Jeep "notchy". I then switched to Coastal GL3,GL4,GL5 80W90 and it shifts great. That was 9 years ago with a change every other year using the same lube.

So, you replaced a notchy GL-5 gear oil with the Coastal GL-5 gear oil. Please understand that the backwards compatibility multi-labeling means nothing.
BTW, the Coastal GL5 that I've seen around here is a non-LSD GL5 gear oil. It would definitely shift better than a wrongfully installed LS-type GL5 gear oil.

So, you replaced a notchy GL-5 gear oil with the Coastal GL-5 gear oil. Please understand that the backwards compatibility multi-labeling means nothing.
BTW, the Coastal GL5 that I've seen around here is a non-LSD GL5 gear oil. It would definitely shift better than a wrongfully installed LS-type GL5 gear oil.

The Supertech GL5 oil I used had a high sulfur smell, like any other typical GL5 I had tried. The Coastal GL3,GL4,GL5 did not, which made it shift better in my tranny. I found the Coastal oil by chance and it works well. Just telling this guy that it worked for me.

I certainly did not wrongfully install a limited slip gear oil.
smirk.gif

I would use Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90. Order it online!
If you want a little better shifting, you can use a 75w85 GL4(available at Nissan/Kia/Hyundai/GM/Dodge dealers).

If you want to stick with what is available locally, go to Napa and get the Stalube 85w90 GL4 along with a bottle of Lubegard Gear Fluid Supplement. Other locally available and acceptable 75w90's would be the Valvoline(VV820) or Supertech synth-blend, either dosed with Lubegard Supplement.

I would not use Synchromesh as it is too thin. I would want to protect that transmission as these vehicles tend to be modded.

Non-LSD GL5's can be used, like Redline 75w90NS or Motul Gear300.

The multi-rating of most generic GL5's is a farce and shouldn't be the only thing you're looking at when shopping for the gear oil.

+1 on the red line MT-90, its the best shifting GL-4 I have used in my 5 speed.

I read on a DSM forum where someone used the Coastal gear oil and it gave him the best shifting quality of any oil he`s tried.

Last edited:
Of note Redline now makes a 75-85 oil called MT-85
I will be using it as soon as the ground dries up.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back