CMP M1 Garands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the pleasure of being at CMP's indoor air rifle range in Anniston, Alabama over the weekend to watch/help coach my daughter's team compete in the JROTC All Service National Championships. What an amazing organization! The opportunities they give these kids is incredible and their facility is top notch.

In the same building is the CMP store where they have all the refurb'd M1 Garands. I drooled all over those gorgeous pieces all weekend, but unfortunately, just could not justify buying one because of other expenses. $850 will get you a like new M1 with brand new barrel and walnut stock. If anyone buys one with what look like water stains on the wood, it's probably my drool.
grin.gif

would love a carbine because my dad carried one ashore at easy red sector, omaha beach on 6/6/44. i understand that cmp carbines are mostly gone now. i qualified on the m14, which is the m1 garand's brother, but can't justify getting any centerfire rifles as im not a hunter and only have rimfire rifle places to plink. that said, a reliable carbine chambered in 22wmr would fit the bill.

Originally Posted by jstert
would love a carbine because my dad carried one ashore at easy red sector, omaha beach on 6/6/44. i understand that cmp carbines are mostly gone now. i qualified on the m14, which is the m1 garand's brother, but can't justify getting any centerfire rifles as im not a hunter and only have rimfire rifle places to plink. that said, a reliable carbine chambered in 22wmr would fit the bill.

Yeah, I asked if they happened to have any M1 Carbines, and the guy just laughed. Said they don't find them much anymore and the ones they do, go to auction, but they had dozens of Garands on display and a couple of 1903s.

Carbines are as rare as hens wisdom teeth.

I have a thing for garands, funds are little tight right now, so acquisitions are on hold.
But I bought this a few years back,
It has the cosmoline from CMP, they called it something like "As Issued", The limit was 1 per person.

[Linked Image]

My dad was issued a Garand in WWII, but traded it for a carbine to save weight...he started out as a mortar crewman and the rifle was a secondary consideration for him.
He transferred to HQ sometime later in the war, but still had to break out his carbine when the stuff really hit the fan.
I never asked him if he shot anybody with his carbine, but I do have some pics to prove he took some good looking deer with it in the Black Forest!
Dad shipped into Normandy on DDay+6...he said it was a bustling port by that time instead of a battleground!

I've bought quite a few Garands from the CMP. Best way to get one. They're reasonably priced and the CMP stands behind their sales. If you find an issue, they will make it right. In my case, I found a broken safety on a Winchester M1D and they sent me a new one. I found an oddly filed down trigger on an IHC, and they sent me a new one.

I would strongly encourage you to get one before the CMP sells out. They will one day.

And Garand prices continue to climb.

PM me if you want details on what I've got, or how to take care of one.

Finally, if you REALLY want to understand the rifle, sign up for the CMP "Advanced Maintenance Class" and you can build one at the CMP from the receiver up. New barrel. GI parts. New springs. New stock. 4 days of really learning the rifle from the CMP armorers.

It was awesome!

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've bought quite a few Garands from the CMP. Best way to get one. They're reasonably priced and the CMP stands behind their sales. If you find an issue, they will make it right. In my case, I found a broken safety on a Winchester M1D and they sent me a new one. I found an oddly filed down trigger on an IHC, and they sent me a new one.

I would strongly encourage you to get one before the CMP sells out. They will one day.

And Garand prices continue to climb.

PM me if you want details on what I've got, or how to take care of one.

Finally, if you REALLY want to understand the rifle, sign up for the CMP "Advanced Maintenance Class" and you can build one at the CMP from the receiver up. New barrel. GI parts. New springs. New stock. 4 days of really learning the rifle from the CMP armorers.

It was awesome!

Cheers,
Astro

That's great to hear! They are a top-notch outfit. The Garand is a bucket list rifle for me, for sure. However, I did pick up an M1A Scout Squad last year. Unfortunately, I've got kids with medical considerations draining me this year. I do hope to be able to pick one up soon though!

Carbines can still be had on open market but very pricey. I have two left from my collection that I let go in past couple years. Used to buy/refurb/sell at Greensboro NC show twice a year till they got too scarce. I've kept two, a Win and IBM. Win beat to heck and I love it. IBM in excellent condition. Recently sold off all my spare parts. Age forcing me to gear down. LOL

My Dad was in the Navy during WWII on the battleship Iowa . They were rushing them through boot camp & I am not sure they ever fired a personal weapon . But Dad was a farm boy , hinted rabbits for food with a .22 single shot .

If things had bone bad and he found himself on shore , I am sure he could have used a rifle or a 1911 .

I have an Inland .30 Carbine , A Springfield Garand and a Colt 1911 A1 . Getting old and hobbling around . Do not get to shoot much any more .

I have two from them, a Winchester vintage 1943 and a SA from 1942. Both are in very good condition. I have to look into getting the Winchester to operate correctly though. After it fires the first round the second round ends up jammed with the bullet and part of the case jammed up over the breech. IIRC they call it "stovepipes the round."

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

My Dad was in the Navy during WWII on the battleship Iowa . They were rushing them through boot camp & I am not sure they ever fired a personal weapon . But Dad was a farm boy , hinted rabbits for food with a .22 single shot .

If things had bone bad and he found himself on shore , I am sure he could have used a rifle or a 1911 .

I have an Inland .30 Carbine , A Springfield Garand and a Colt 1911 A1 . Getting old and hobbling around . Do not get to shoot much any more .

My Uncle served on the Iowa during WWII. He had some amazing stories.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have two from them, a Winchester vintage 1943 and a SA from 1942. Both are in very good condition. I have to look into getting the Winchester to operate correctly though. After it fires the first round the second round ends up jammed with the bullet and part of the case jammed up over the breech. IIRC they call it "stovepipes the round."

Sounds like a bad Mag. Have you tried others? Also, is it an original mag as opposed to aftermarket? Origs all have a letter or symbol stamped on flat side. Print the letter/s or email to me and I'll tell you if its a GI mag.

Originally Posted by tc1446

Sounds like a bad Mag. Have you tried others? Also, is it an original mag as opposed to aftermarket? Origs all have a letter or symbol stamped on flat side. Print the letter/s or email to me and I'll tell you if its a GI mag.

Thanks for the info. I tried other en bloc clips, [all of them are GI clips] ball ammo, handloads, and store bought ammo. None of the mentioned helped. I think it is a timing issue. It has been on the back burner for several years now. Threads like these remind me of the problem.

Thanks for the info. I tried other en bloc clips, [all of them are GI clips] ball ammo, handloads, and store bought ammo. None of the mentioned helped. I think it is a timing issue. It has been on the back burner for several years now. Threads like these remind me of the problem.

Too bad you don't live closer...

Stove pipes are very rare in Garands.

Many Garand issues can be solved with a good clean, lube and new springs. A complete spring set is $28 from places like this: https://www.ammogarand.com/m1gaspspsetf.html The op rod spring is only $7 for new one (and it's usually at fault, since both the op-rod and the follower rely on the op-rod spring for proper function).

While you've got it apart for the new springs, perform a "tilt test". With the stock removed, take out the op-rod spring and re-assemble the op rod to the action, with the bolt in place. It should slide freely back and forth. Tilt the rifle to 45 degrees inclination, barrel up and the op rod and bolt should slide back. Tilt it to 45 degrees with the receiver up, and the op rod and bolt should close.

If they don't, the op rod is likely dragging on the handguard or barrel and that clearance will need to be adjusted (note that an op rod has two slight curves/bends in it when properly shaped. Don't ever try to straighten them.)

If your rifle were short-stroking, I would say that you've got a gas leak, or lack of lubrication. But the bolt is going far enough back to pick up the next round, so the action is cycling far enough that I think your gas system is OK.

The only timing that you can really adjust in the Garand is the bolt release upon clip insertion. That's checked with a timing block that simulates clip loading. The nose of the bullet guide gets worn, and the op rod catch won't release the op rod when the clip is fully inserted, requiring the shooter to "bump" the op rod forward. Many shooters think that's normal. It's not. It's common because of the wear. Peening the nose of the bullet guide back to roughly 0.185" height, or just replacing the bullet guide, restores proper bolt closing on clip insertion.

Winchester receivers are more roughly machined (larger tool marks, rougher finish) than Springfield or H&R receivers. While I love the Winchester rifles for their history, they can be more problematic than Springfield or H&R. My IHC Garand has a nicely finished receiver as well.

Because of that, I would go for a good clean and lube first. I am fond of Mobil 1 grease. The red color allows you to see what's been greased properly (very thin film). Simply put, if there's a spot where the parkerizing is worn, that part should get a thin film of grease.

Here's a good guide:

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

Many Garand issues can be solved with a good clean, lube and new springs. A complete spring set is $28 from places like this: https://www.ammogarand.com/m1gaspspsetf.html The op rod spring is only $7 for new one (and it's usually at fault, since both the op-rod and the follower rely on the op-rod spring for proper function).

While you've got it apart for the new springs, perform a "tilt test". With the stock removed, take out the op-rod spring and re-assemble the op rod to the action, with the bolt in place. It should slide freely back and forth. Tilt the rifle to 45 degrees inclination, barrel up and the op rod and bolt should slide back. Tilt it to 45 degrees with the receiver up, and the op rod and bolt should close.

If they don't, the op rod is likely dragging on the handguard or barrel and that clearance will need to be adjusted (note that an op rod has two slight curves/bends in it when properly shaped. Don't ever try to straighten them.)

If your rifle were short-stroking, I would say that you've got a gas leak, or lack of lubrication. But the bolt is going far enough back to pick up the next round, so the action is cycling far enough that I think your gas system is OK.

The only timing that you can really adjust in the Garand is the bolt release upon clip insertion. That's checked with a timing block that simulates clip loading. The nose of the bullet guide gets worn, and the op rod catch won't release the op rod when the clip is fully inserted, requiring the shooter to "bump" the op rod forward. Many shooters think that's normal. It's not. It's common because of the wear. Peening the nose of the bullet guide back to roughly 0.185" height, or just replacing the bullet guide, restores proper bolt closing on clip insertion.

Winchester receivers are more roughly machined (larger tool marks, rougher finish) than Springfield or H&R receivers. While I love the Winchester rifles for their history, they can be more problematic than Springfield or H&R. My IHC Garand has a nicely finished receiver as well.

Because of that, I would go for a good clean and lube first. I am fond of Mobil 1 grease. The red color allows you to see what's been greased properly (very thin film). Simply put, if there's a spot where the parkerizing is worn, that part should get a thin film of grease.

Here's a good guide:

Thanks for the info! I wish I lived closer. A friend of my son's offered to take it to an old timer friend of his who works on them. All he asked for was a bunch of ball ammo to use for testing and confirming the repairs. At the time I only had about 10 rounds, in fact that's all I have now. Then due to my lousy schedule at the time we never hooked up. I'll try another cleaning and lube job one of these days, if that doesn't work I'll hook up with my son's friend and make it happen. Aside from routine cleaning and lubing I don't have the comfort level to dig too deep into it yet! The other issue is I would have to take it to the range to test it, and if it doesn't work properly I'd have to bring it home and try again, a 60 mile drive each way. They're strict about repairs etc. on the range. That would mean taking it home and trying again.

You're right the Springfield is problem free, the Winchester was this way from the first day I got it from CMP. I was extremely happy with the condition and never informed them of the issue.

Got to shoot the M1 the summer of 66 in Navy Bootcamp San Diego. How did that happen, but that's what we had to shoot.. Never shot one again after that. But before the Navy, was in a drill team in college and that's all we marched with, but never shot one then.

Here's a good guide:

Excellent info. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back