Clutch type LSD in transaxle, what fluid to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people in my Celica club have been asking what fluid to use in their aftermarket clutch type LSDs. The car asks for 75w-90 GL-4 fluid normally (Redline MT-90 is what most people use). Someone was asking if hypoid gear oil would work, but I have no clue if it would or not. Mind you these are FWD transaxles so the fluid has to work well with syncros and the like.

This transaxle without the LSD requires a 75w-90 GL-4 oil (ie. Redline MT-90). People are asking what oil they should use after installing an aftermarket clutch type LSD. The two LSDs out there are KAAZ and TRD. The KAAZ LSD asks you to use their oil which is something like $40 a quart. I don't think anyone has done a VOA on it though, but it would be interesting to see. The TRD does not say anything as to what oil to use, and it is a TRD Japan part, therefore TRD USA would not be able to support the product, and htey have poor support for most customers.

If you are not felling any "chatter" from the LS leave it alone. There are special additives for LS differentials that can be used if they do chatter. The GM additive is one of the best. The only negative I can think of is a reduction in syncro action if the additive is used.

we use 75W80 GL-5 in the Quaife LSD but KAAZ is a different design. Dont know what design TRD is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back