Clutch recommendations

For a 1996 Mustang GT. My throw out bearing is whining so I figured I might as well replace the clutch while the tranny is out. It’s mostly stock summer daily with 94k on her. I was looking at a LUK kit with the pilot and throw bearing included. Are they any good? Recommendations?

Attachments

• C0C42712-7175-4B66-990F-716375E37C58.jpeg
    C0C42712-7175-4B66-990F-716375E37C58.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 11
I'd at least consider looking at Amazon reviews. I was recently looking for a clutch for a YJ and based on reviews it would seem for that application LUK went through a rash of bad throwout bearings

Obviously your clutch is different but sometimes a site with lots of reviews can be helpful for spotting quality fade

I'd go with a Centerforce II clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and an OE pilot bearing. Centerforce clutches are better than LUK from my experience with them. I would also replace the flywheel and slave cylinder while I'm in there and consider the RMS. Overkill? Maybe not with a vehicle that age. Flame suit on.

As a general Rule LUK are good for a stock car. I agree with searching car specific forums and reviews of the specific part number though.

Centerforce or RAM for higher level stuff in my experience.

Luk is good stuff, they make a lot of the OE clutches. If you want something stronger, but without too much heaviness look at McLeod. The problem with the 79-04 clutches is the cable makes them very heavy compared to the 05+ ones that are hydraulic.

I’ve done some searching on corral.net and Summit, Amazon, etc but there’s not many options and what are bought and reviewed are only a few ratings. It seems like no one uses Summit or maybe it’s because I’m looking for parts for a 26 year old car. 😂 Not worried about the clutching being too heavy. I do drive semis every now and then. McLeod is on the radar too. And with the message boards all the clutch threads seem very old and there’s not many SN95 stangs left. That are taken care of..

Reactions: D60
Sachs is usually a quality clutch, they supply the majority of OE manufacturers so it’s tier 1 manufacturing facilities (hopefully). I’ve also had good experiences with Clutchmasters stage 1 and a Centerforce 1.

Looks like rock auto shows a lot of good options. I would personally choose a Sachs or Valeo over a LUK though.

I just checked Rock Auto, the have a dual disk Tremec set up for only $1300.00. It’s listed as a “daily driver” replacement 😁

I would also replace the flywheel and slave cylinder while I'm in there ....
When they replaced the clutch on my '86 Volvo (the only clutch I've ever replaced) they didn't replace or resurface the flywheel. The previously smooth acting clutch became a little jerky. I always regretted not having done something with the flywheel too (which I think was responsible).

For a 1996 Mustang GT. My throw out bearing is whining so I figured I might as well replace the clutch while the tranny is out. It’s mostly stock summer daily with 94k on her. I was looking at a LUK kit with the pilot and throw bearing included. Are they any good? Recommendations?
I have always had good luck with HAYS clutches and parts.

Go with Luk as you mentioned. A clutch kit will have everything you need. Good decision to replace the disc. I would never go through the effort of removing the trans. just to replace those bearings and reuse the old disc.

Do you have a rebuilder in your area? I had a clutch go bad in a vw and I took it to a rebuilder in Nashville,TN. They installed new lining and cleaned it and tightened it up for less than $50. Good deal for me and it worked great.

If you are going with LUK get the heavy duty. Valeo makes a good clutch too. Replace the flywheel with OE.

Looks like Rock Auto has a motocraft with ford part number (that should be the good one).... id be tempted. Its probably a LUK. Essentially same price as LUK HD.

Agree Sachs and Valeo should be good, but no experience on a Ford. On a VW I would go Sachs without question.

Valeo is another tier 1 OE supplier. I don’t trust LUK, saw one disintegrate, literally the disk exploded.
Also, the worst clutch I ever had was a Spec stage 1. The pedal effort was like prying a bear trap open and it would slip from an aggressive launch in my Legacy GT turbo. Lasted 7000 miles while the OE went 80k under the same conditions.
The Clutchmasters set up had the best pedal feel and grabbed like a hungry alligator!

Back