Clicking/Ticking on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought ticking on startup was simply caused, as long as the lifters were good, by a fluid film not being established and metal-on-metal contact occuring between the lifter and pushrod.

If true, would any particular additive help prevent this contact before a fluid film is established?

(Yes, I realize a lighter weight oil would probably help, but I'm just concerned with additives at the moment)

The only thing I can think of is molybdenum

Suggestions?

1) Start with an oil filter from the dealer. Most aftermarket filters are compromises, probably OK, not always. You know that the OEM filter is correct for your engine.

2) Try different brands of oil, and do not add any off-the-shelf additives.

3) If you find an oil that quiets this noise, then try different brands of filters, if you'd like.

Ken

"I've always thought ticking on startup was simply caused, as long as the lifters were good, by a fluid film not being established and metal-on-metal contact occuring between the lifter and pushrod."

It depends on the noise. It could be some form of lack of lubricant or it could be piston slap ... very different.

Heck, it could even be an exahust leak, depending, depending, ...
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

"Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
Is this a Toyota?"

Actually, at the moment, it's on no specific vehicle...it's a hypothetical question!

I have dealt with this before in various vehicles, but with my current vehicle, it is currently not an issue, although I'm waiting to see how the Delo does in my gas-engine pickup.

I'm just very interested to see if their is an oil additive that would help to prevent the "ticking/clicking" sounds that eminate from the engine on cold-start ups without having to swtich to a lighter-viscosity oil.

With that said, even though I am having no problems with Delo, I will probably switch to 5w or 10w-30 Chevron Supreme for winter unless you guys convince me that an additive, such as Molybdenum, that appears in Delvac 1300 and Long-Life, will aide in the reduction of possible clicking on startup.

I had severe ticking/clicking on startup last year at temps below 40F due to stuck lifters. And although a thinner viscosity would help it was the direct cause...ie. coking varnish, etc. on these parts due to extreme heat during hours of operation. Cure: either auto-rx or oils with high detergents/good cleaning properties eg. Delvac 1 and more frequent oil changes. We'll see this winter as it's getting colder now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back