Clear "protective" film on new vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Rumble
Since I keep my vehicles for a long time, my concern is how this stuff will look in 7, 10, or more years.

How will your vehicle look in 7, 10, or more years with all the rock chips and blemishes without this stuff?

This stuff doesn't prevent rock chips...

A good PPF absolutely should prevent rock chips. That's the whole point...

The new stuff is much better than years ago.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Rumble
Since I keep my vehicles for a long time, my concern is how this stuff will look in 7, 10, or more years.

How will your vehicle look in 7, 10, or more years with all the rock chips and blemishes without this stuff?

This stuff doesn't prevent rock chips...

A good PPF absolutely should prevent rock chips. That's the whole point...

The new stuff is much better than years ago.

Then apparently the 3M stuff isn't a good one because my vehicle still got rock chips with this stuff applied...so not only did I still end up with rock chips, I also had the ugly, yellow, cracked plastic film...I'd stay away from this stuff...

This works and looks much better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxBEPVmgOo

Last edited:
Then apparently the 3M stuff isn't a good one because my vehicle still got rock chips with this stuff applied...so not only did I still end up with rock chips, I also had the ugly, yellow, cracked plastic film...I'd stay away from this stuff...

When was it applied?

When was it applied?

When these clear bras are removed,I wonder if your car will have a "tan line" per se on the paint?

When was it applied?

Think there's a chance it might have improved in 16 years?

*3M warrants that applied Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film Pro Series will be free of defects in materials and manufacture - including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking - for ten (10) years from date of purchase.

Oh man.....negotiate the price of the film and leave it on. I sure wish I'd spent the money when my car was new. I've had this stuff on a few previous cars, and it's amazing how well it protects. No, it's not going to prevent a fist-sized rock from marring your paint, but for the normal-sized debris that you'll encounter most often, it's fantastic.

Originally Posted by geeman789
19 out of 20 customers DO want the 3m protective film.

That's because 19 out of 20 customers have never had this product on their vehicle before so they don't know what happens to it over time. I had this stuff (made by 3M) applied to one of my brand new vehicles and after about 5 or 6 years it yellowed and cracked. Never again...

remember when the car bra was popular?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

When was it applied?

Think there's a chance it might have improved in 16 years?

*3M warrants that applied Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film Pro Series will be free of defects in materials and manufacture - including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking - for ten (10) years from date of purchase.

Why don't you put in on your vehicle and let us know how it goes? The stuff I put on my vehicle was supposedly "new and improved" and wasn't supposed to crack or turn yellow, but it did...

I'm with grampi on these clear bras. They're good for 5 years max imo.

I would like to see a clear bra installed in 2009 or there about on a daily driven, non garage kept vehicle. Any takers from those praising this product? Post some pics.

Last edited:
I don't see the point. For that price, get the bumper resprayed every 5 years. It would be cheaper. I paid $500 to have my E36 front bumper redone and the top of the rear. It was hammered since the front on those are pretty flat.

Me and the Mrs went to check out another 4Runner yesterday. This one was white, which is our #2 color choice (red is #1w/beige interior). As soon as we saw the hood had the clear film, we told the salesman we were not interested. He went off like a firecracker telling me 99% of all new cars had it! My wife and I have been car shopping for several months, and the only suvs/trucks we've seen with it are Toyotas. Anyway, we didn't give up, and found another Toyota dealer who told us he could get us one without it, and in our Red/Beige color choice (his seven 4Runners didn't have the film). Might be in Monday/Tuesday.

While I love a clear bra, I wouldn't let a dealership cram one down my throat as an add-on item. The "protection packages" they already peddle are bad enough.

Don't do it, unless you plan to trade the vehicle in a few years. The bra will ruin your paint in the long run. Save the money. As others have suggested. Big profit scam for dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back