"Clear" grease in small tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New lawn tractor coming day after tomorrow, front wheel hubs are what seems to be the modern standard on sub-$4K-$5K machines- plastic bushings on steel shaft. Not a tough load there, but will probably have to give each front "hub" a shot or two before & after each mowing, just to keep the sand/dust/dirt from working up inside & grinding the bushings away. You know, pump till clean grease shows, then wipe away what came out.

Owner's manual says any general-purpose grease OK, so super-tuff specs are not required.
grin.gif

For this use I'd like to use a "clear"(OK, actually translucent is more accurate) grease, that will help me to see if there's any dirt on/in it, or if it's coming out clean. Or maybe white lithium grease would do that just as well. For convenience, plan to buy a separate one-handed mini-greasegun to use those little(3 oz?) tube refills.

Anyone know of any "clear" greases available in the little tubes, preferably not too expensive? Maybe widely available? Red, blue, green, blue-green, any color is OK so long as light shows through it. I recall seeing some blue-green boat-trailer grease a few years ago that would be ideal, just dunno what brand it was or if it's still made. All help appreciated.

I prefer a small pistol grid grease gun, but the problem is that I've never been able to find a good selection of grease cartridges. Sometimes I just fill myself, but this is really messy.

Buying the small grease gun is like buying a "Beta" VCR. Sure it looks as nice but no selection.

Maybe you could thread a zerk onto the side of your small gun and fill it from a full size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back