Clear Coat My Third Brake Light?

When my son bought his 04 (New style) F150 the 3rd brake light bulbs were burnt. He saw some nice LED lights on Amazon and replaced his with a new LED type. He gave me his old one. This light still looks practically brand new.
Q?; Would it do any good to clear coat it? I still have about a half can of UV Resistant clear coat left. I was thinking it would help the longevity of the lens in the summer heat here in La. I'm waiting on my gasket and LED bulbs I ordered from Amazon.

LIGHT.jpeg

I think you're supposed to abrade the surface before use, but I don't remember the process. I'd wait for someone else to chime in on that before I did anything.

The clearcoat won't adhere to it unless you scuff it. I would gently wet sand it with 2000 grit...just enough to take away the luster. Don't polish it, don't do anything else except clean it with a dab of lacquer thinner on a rag to remove any oil from your skin. THEN shoot it with your UV clear.

You're welcome.

Using a solution when there is no problem may lead to early trouble. So if it were mine, I would not do anything until it starts to haze or otherwise look bad. Then I would do the fine sand & buff routine similar to cloudy headlamps, and then finish with the clear coat. (Whenever it does start to get hazy, I bet it will be on the top surface where it does not matter much anyway.)

Back