Cleaner/Wax/Protectant wanted

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm looking for an easy-to-apply product that will provide some cleaning and shine to the old paint on the Camry. It can be a multi-step process, but it must be easy to apply. I'm not looking for anything too expensive, but I do want a good product that meets the requirements. Suggestions?

well before I give you my opinion or recommendation did you plan on Clay barring the car or using a decontamination product? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and put it as that you have already clay barred the car then if you wanted something simple you could go with the Maguire's cleaner wax. by myself use the ceramic but I think it smells nice and is fairly affordable

well before I give you my opinion or recommendation did you plan on Clay barring the car or using a decontamination product? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and put it as that you have already clay barred the car then if you wanted something simple you could go with the Maguire's cleaner wax. by myself use the ceramic but I think it smells nice and is fairly affordable
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not very interested in clay barring the car but some sort of decontamination might be useful. I've seen videos of folks spray foaming their vehicles before waxing, etc., and that has me interested and curious as it fits my idea of being easy to apply and also going (perhaps?) a step or two beyond just a simple wash. A cleaner wax sounds interesting.

I used Maguire's cleaner wax (bought from walmart) for many years. Very easy to apply and remove. Just that little bit more "bite" than a normal wax. Also very affordable, at least in the past. I would recommend it.

But applying with a DA polisher and a correct pad would make a world of different in effectiveness.

I used Maguire's cleaner wax (bought from walmart) for many years. Very easy to apply and remove. Just that little bit more "bite" than a normal wax. Also very affordable, at least in the past. I would recommend it.

But applying with a DA polisher and a correct pad would make a world of different in effectiveness.
Ditto, around 20+ years.

It does miracles when something has not gone through the clear coat. I once had a squeegee man take the back of his handle and drive it into my white Maxima--long red mark. Cleaner wax safely removed it.

When a church sprayed red paint on a door, but it blew all over my wife's SUV, I used cleaner wax with my Dewalt polisher and it reluctantly came off. Didn't need to use real polish.

At the same time, I would suggest using regular wax, like Gold Class. I use the cleaner wax to get things out. I think I did use it once before on the entire car, but felt regular wax is better for the wax job.

p.s. I too don't like claying....I did when there was artillery fungus all over 2 of our cars...very unpleasant job to me. And, I did my mom's Acura which had not been waxed in years..prior to waxing..

DA is a dual action polisher. You could also use Poorboys Polish with Sealant. Lasts about two to five months. Easy on/off and can be used in sun or shade. I use that on my wife’s Corolla twice a year. Can be used without a polisher but any cleaner/wax or sealant will be better with a DA Here are some pics I took this morning for this post and this car has never been in a garage since new(2006).

Attachments

• corolla.jpg
    corolla.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 16
  • corolla1.jpg
    corolla1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not very interested in clay barring the car but some sort of decontamination might be useful. I've seen videos of folks spray foaming their vehicles before waxing, etc., and that has me interested and curious as it fits my idea of being easy to apply and also going (perhaps?) a step or two beyond just a simple wash. A cleaner wax sounds interesting.
Do you wash your own vehicle? All of these options are only relevant if the additional steps can be self-performed immediately after the vehicle wash.

From the sounds of things you don't want to get too involved. So if you aren't going to clay and DA polish and seal I would
recommend Klasse All in One. This product probably has the strongest chemical cleaner of any of the cleaner/one steps waxes and puts down a acrylic sealant instead of a wax. The acrylic gives protection on its own or can be used as a base for waxes or sealants. It's one of the most popular bases for Zaino, but forget about going down that rabbit hole.

Do you wash your own vehicle? All of these options are only relevant if the additional steps can be self-performed immediately after the vehicle wash.
Right now I don't. I'd like to do the entire process myself, whichever one I choose. However, I'd probably use the car wash again after the job is done and then maybe do a couple of good hand washes every year.

From the sounds of things you don't want to get too involved. So if you aren't going to clay and DA polish and seal I would
recommend Klasse All in One. This product probably has the strongest chemical cleaner of any of the cleaner/one steps waxes and puts down a acrylic sealant instead of a wax. The acrylic gives protection on its own or can be used as a base for waxes or sealants.
I'm definitely not going to use clay. The DA is undecided as I just learned about it a few minutes ago. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it.

When done washing the car before you dry it spray some quick detailer on it then dry it. It helps with the water spots and depending on brand of quick detailer it will help with the longevity of the wax

Gyeon Wet Coat if you want something easy. Otherwise I recommend something like Griot’s 3-in-1 ceramic wax spray or Turtle Wax Seal and Shine etc.

recommend Klasse All in One. This product probably has the strongest chemical cleaner of any of the cleaner/one steps waxes and puts down a acrylic sealant instead of a wax. The acrylic gives protection on its own or can be used as a base for waxes or sealants. It's one of the most popular bases for Zaino, but forget about going down that rabbit hole.
KAO(klasse all in one) is very good. A little more work rubbing but its worth it. Just make sure car is cool to touch before applied.

All good suggestions.

I would add if you want something quick and easy to go over the paint with to clean it up, but won't leave any protection behind, try the P21s Paintwork Cleanser. I keep a bottle of this on hand. I've used it on engine plastics that got scratched and windows with water spots. Kind of a hidden gem of a product. Nothing special about it but it works. Doing the entire car by hand though is going to be tough. Time consuming. It can be done though.

Griot's AIO can be used by hand too.

Or just buy Wet Coat/DIY Quick Beads and after you've washed the car thoroughly, spray it on and rinse it off. For a good thorough cleaning try Carpro Descale.

If you don't want to clay-bar the finish before putting on some kind of sealant use at least iron remover to clean the paint before sealing in whatever particles remain. Use iron remover on the wheels. I use an acrylic sealant on the completely clean vehicle twice a year and use an acrylic cleaner/sealer for touchups in between. Don't forget to apply some sort of protectant with a UV filter to polycarbonate headlight lenses/covers. Acrylic paint sealant has been working fine for me for that purpose.

Last edited:
Back