Cleaner oil drains with premium gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How would more detergents contribute to more "pep"? I detect placebo.

I could buy the theory that if the higher octane fuel burned cleaner, it probably would not contaminate oil as much, but without blotter tests done for comparison, we're speculating on possible placebo effects here.

I'm with you Kris.

06vtecv6
Could you please elaborate on exactly how elevated detergent levels will increase the performance of an engine,because I'm lost as to how that works considering your saying it was the first tank of this fuel.
Modern vehicles use various sensors to accumulate data at start up. It then uses this data to modify the timing and fuel delivery in order to maximize power and efficiency.
Higher octane and detergents on their own will not affect "pep" whatsoever unless the previous fuel had caused the ecu to retard spark timing and therefore reduced total power output of the engine.
And octane is nothing more than resistance to pre-ignition due to compression. Lower octane fuel has the same btu's as premium fuel does,so if an engine doesn't have the ability to sense timing and advance it the use of premium fuel will not increase power.
Over time the extra detergents MAY clean up a dirty combustion chamber and thereby increase an engines responsiveness however a single tank isn't going to do anything even remotely noticeable as far as cleaning deposits and therefore isn't going to affect the running condition of the engine. Add a couple degrees of timing and then you'll be able to notice that extra octane.

I think every vehicle is different. I now have a 2014 civic which absolutely loves 89 it is not placebo my wife has same exact car it also loves 89 and it lets us know that. Before that I had a alero 3.4L and it ran amazing on 93 octane and I could never use anything else. I tried many times over the years I ran it with 93 in its entirety until I said goodbye to the car. I havent tried 93 in our civics but I might just for the heck of it. I know ive done research in past I thought I read 93 actually runs hotter than 87 and is bad to use in vehicles asking for 87 octane but its been a while since I did some research. Either way I do believe to an extent all vehicles are different and I do believe a car will tell you what it likes and doesnt like. I had a 96 saturn that love supertech full syn oil its all id use in it so thats just my two cents just my opinion and story
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: raytseng
There are 2 variables though. The higher fuel additive is only one; there is the obvious one that the octane and base fuel is also different.

Why have people jumped to the conclusion that the behavior is just because of the different fuel additives dosage?
Why is the difference in octane as a variable completely ignored?

To have confidence to make the above statement, he needs to runs regular and also add fuel additive that matches or even exceed the premium concentration, then you can say it's because of additives and everything else was equal.

I think you and I have two different understandings of the words, "completely ignored." Octane and timing was discussed throughout the thread as a possibility, and is plausible, IMO.

I might even ask my wife to start filling up with 89, just to see what possible effect there might be. I expect none, but it's a cheap experiment. I also don't have the ability to data-log on her car, so any difference either of us notices will be nearly worthless, so long as the difference isn't dramatic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back