Cleaned Intake Valves for My 2 Subarus

Al

Both my '19 Crosstrek and '18 Forester XT. The Crosstrek has 30,00+ miles and this is the second time I did the cleaning. The Forester has 26,000+ miles and this is the third time. I was not going to do the Crosstrek again be it will be replaced next summer. But If I were buying it I would appreciate that this had been done. Probably not the magic bullet but it can't hurt.
IMG-5022.jpg

IMG-5016-1.jpg

I guess.

I do wonder about the harshness of that stuff on cylinder walls, rings and anything not metal.

Any reason the Crosstrek is getting replaced?
Now might be the time...
Example I had a 2016 car that in 2019 i was offered an average of only $7k...
Last week I was offered $19k by carvanna.. Now may be the time.

If you're not trading in yours, CarMax will beat that price by 10% or maybe more.
I just got offered for my 2015 MDX with 110K, $13,386 from Carvana, CarMax offer was $16,800, make no sense.

I've watched videos where people walnut-blasted their intake valves, using compressed air and a special adapter that bolts onto and seals against the cylinder head. Amazing how much crud was there but the walnut blasting cleaned it up well. I wonder if a passive system like the IAG air oil separator might prevent the buildup in the first place? No one has ever used an AOS and then later disassembled the intake far enough to see what it looks like after extended use. At least not that I've ever seen.

I've watched videos where people walnut-blasted their intake valves, using compressed air and a special adapter that bolts onto and seals against the cylinder head. Amazing how much crud was there but the walnut blasting cleaned it up well. I wonder if a passive system like the IAG air oil separator might prevent the buildup in the first place? No one has ever used an AOS and then later disassembled the intake far enough to see what it looks like after extended use. At least not that I've ever seen.
A lot of chevy truck guys use catch cans which are a sort of AOS. I drain a few OZ's of crud each oil change from mine thast would otherwise have went past the valves.

This has been explored in past threads. It seems that despite a catch can/AOS being installed, IVD's still happen.

I know I’m going to be a party pooper here, but you’re not really cleaning much of anything by doing that. I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t have said that, but I did.

You’d have to install a can of CRC and run it every single day for that thing to clean carbon on the backside of valves.

If you really want to clean them, remove the intake and manually do it. I don’t thunk intake is all that bad to remove on those cars (if I remember). There are easier ones out there, but it’s doable.

But regarding the CRC — If it makes you feel good, do it. Honestly, if it makes you feel good keep doing the cleanings. I think doing something is better than nothing with car ownership, even if it’s 90% mental...because it shows you care and it probably means you are willing to maintain the rest of the vehicle equally as thoroughly.

The thing about CRC is that it needs to have the opportunity to sit a minute, foam up, and dissolve the gunk. I removed the intake from my Focus ST and cleaned the valves. It took multiple applications and rinses to make a difference. A brass brush also helped.

Having watched it work, I can't imagine it doing much good if it doesn't have the opportunity to sit.

I'm planning on a '22 WRX. All new with the global platform. Not getting the STI, I don't think.
Having had the older platform in our 2017 Crosstrek, I liked the older platform better.
And the overall quality of the older car better. They really cheapened the interiors on the new ones!
And steering and ride has turned to mush. Granted the WRX should be better than a Crosstrek.

I am really feeling the lack of affordable RWD sport sedans or coupes out there
An M2 would be nice if they could be had for 25K lightly used.

Having had the older platform in our 2017 Crosstrek, I liked the older platform better.
And the overall quality of the older car better. They really cheapened the interiors on the new ones!
And steering and ride has turned to mush. Granted the WRX should be better than a Crosstrek.

I saw last night that the Crosstrek in that foreign land of Canada was the quietest out of 13 vehicles in the same segment.
Ranked better than the new Corolla Cross for interior materials and engine noise and ride.

Both my '19 Crosstrek and '18 Forester XT. The Crosstrek has 30,00+ miles and this is the second time I did the cleaning. The Forester has 26,000+ miles and this is the third time. I was not going to do the Crosstrek again be it will be replaced next summer. But If I were buying it I would appreciate that this had been done. Probably not the magic bullet but it can't hurt.
IMG-5022.jpg

IMG-5016-1.jpg
How do you like that Ultra 7317 on the Subbie?

I know I’m going to be a party pooper here, but you’re not really cleaning much of anything by doing that. I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t have said that, but I did.

You’d have to install a can of CRC and run it every single day for that thing to clean carbon
Your opinion is just that. It's not based in fact

Welll I never rode in an older crosstrek. But I would have to say the vehicle handling is superior. Near neutral steering no matter how hard you push it. The global platform I believe is a game changer for subaru. They spent a billion bucks developig it. Supposedly it is 70+% more rigid and enhanced safety. Can absorb 40% more crash energy. Granted..some hype here. But I am pleased in the stability of the thing.

I reallly wanted the global platform for my forester. But that would have meant no turbo. No thanks.

Your opinion is just that. It's not based in fact
please provide pictures of your “facts”. Before and after valve condition and carbon removal. 🤣🤣 The only thing you removed was money from your wallet. FACT.

Agree with the part about sedans. The WRX is the closest you’re gonna get to an affordable sports sedan that’s not FWD-only.

As far as coupes, though - the BRZ/86 is pretty affordable. As affordable as you’re going to find in these times.

Back