Clean Install win 7 question / win10 eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I clean install Win 7 Pro, will my existing eligibility for Win10 still be valid after i have re-installed Win 7?

I am thinking yes, as it's the same product key, and same machine, etc. But Just wanted to be sure.

I was playing with the idea of Win 10 upgrade, but recently Lenovo has removed my laptop model (ThinkPad T520) and all win10 associated BIOS updates from their "compatible with Windows 10" list.
(although Windows keeps telling me that i CAN upgrade to 10 and my system is "ready to go")

All this makes me just clean install Win 7 and keep it until I am ready for my next laptop.

(I already have an Win 7 ISO that I got from digital river when it still existed, but you can still get ISO from MS if you have a valid Prod key)

I had to do a clean Win 7 install on my wife's computer a couple months ago and within a week it was asking if she wanted to upgrade to Win 10 and she did.

As long as it is Windows 7 Service Pack 1, you should be eligible.

I'd be curious to know how it works out starting from a clean install of 7.

I just upgraded to 10, and I had all sorts of freezes (right-clicking on a file would hang for 10 seconds). So I ended up reinstalling 7 just last night.

I am writing this from my Ubuntu laptop, though. It never lets me down.

I also keep getting the upgrade to Win 19. I have Win 7 right now. Is it worth upgrading? I've never used 10 before.

Last edited:
I have Windows 10 on my laptop from 2007 (Core 2 Duo T7200, 2 gigs RAM, [censored] intel graphics, 64 gig SSD) and it works fine. I did not like it over Windows 7. The interface changes really bug me, although it is better than Windows 8/8.1.
I installed "Classic Shell" to make it act like Windows 7 and am happy with it now.
I still have not updated my desktop (running Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell), my wife's desktop (Windows 7) or my 2 HTPC's (also on Windows 7).
I am also making sure my mom's computer stays on Windows 7, she has enough issues with the few changes between XP and 7, I would be getting calls daily if she went to 10.

As for the OP question, Yes, if you re-install Windows 7, your Windows 10 upgrade is still good (till July when the free upgrade program ends).

After running Win 10 for a while on two laptop computers and a tower, I'd stick with Win 7.
smile.gif

Initially I was happy with it, but in all honestly I like Win 7 better, and will be changing back.

I just installed 7 using the Windows Media Creation Tool on a Lenovo Desktop which I replaced the HDD on. I skipped the COA during install and then "changed the KEY" after completion with no problems.

The next day I installed 10 using the "10 Update Tool", again skipping the COA entry portion and entering the 7 key in the "change the key" option within windows, after completion. I did it this way so that I could revert to 7 if the Lenovo didn't play nice with 10.

I had Windows 7 Premium and installed Windows 10 Home. With 10 there is no basic, or Premium, just Home and Pro. If you dont stick to your original distro, it might not install and activate.

Last edited:
Just got the Win10 update! I was not looking forward to it but somehow I must have gotten tricked in to allowing it over night.

BUT I am impressed. I was afraid of Cisco VPN breaking but it came up fine along with the Chrome browser. I use almost nothing else.

Now I have to find a cheap plug in microphone to see if I like Cortney :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Just got the Win10 update! I was not looking forward to it but somehow I must have gotten tricked in to allowing it over night.

BUT I am impressed. I was afraid of Cisco VPN breaking but it came up fine along with the Chrome browser. I use almost nothing else.

Now I have to find a cheap plug in microphone to see if I like Cortney :)

Bizzarro, malware, or coincidence....I should start a new thread, but will interupt this one.

I went to my Win 7 workplace computer this morning and there was a blue screen saying Welcome to Windows 10. It asked for a password (didn't do). I could not access Task Manager nor could I turn the computer off with its power button.

After monkeying around for awhile, I got to a window asking if I wanted to decline Windows 10. I clicked, and it took a good 5 minutes to "restore to previous Windows version". Still, I got several more pop ups trying to force me to reschedule free install of Windows 10.

I thought maybe I had gotten some Malware. It was VERY aggressive trying to force me into Windows 10. My workplace does not support Windows 10 at this time.

Felt very George Orwell 1984 big brother type of thing!

Comments?? Is this common??

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I went to my Win 7 workplace computer this morning and there was a blue screen saying Welcome to Windows 10. It asked for a password (didn't do). I could not access Task Manager nor could I turn the computer off with its power button.

After monkeying around for awhile, I got to a window asking if I wanted to decline Windows 10. I clicked, and it took a good 5 minutes to "restore to previous Windows version". Still, I got several more pop ups trying to force me to reschedule free install of Windows 10.

I thought maybe I had gotten some Malware. It was VERY aggressive trying to force me into Windows 10. My workplace does not support Windows 10 at this time.

Felt very George Orwell 1984 big brother type of thing!

Comments?? Is this common??

Yep...that's why I had set update permissions to "ask me first". When set to AUTO, you'll AUTOmatically get GWX installed and it'll drive you nuts, regularly popping up asking you to update.

All of this sharing internet connections, contacts, browser history, etc., and selling this information is just downright creepy, creepy, voyeristic, intrusive and narcissistic. Worse, is that it's all enabled by DEFAULT! You have to go in and manually TURN IT OFF. Just how many do you think in the general population would understand this, much less know how to turn it OFF?

That's what MS is betting on......

Creepy, creepy......

Read more about this and how to get rid of GWX over at Tweakhound. Worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back