Clamp on oil filter "coolers" do they work?

finned metal sleeves that clamp on oil filter. Advertised as "oil coolers" I cannot see how they would be effective...? Scam?
Had an ATF cooling loop with a spin on filter behind a TruCool LPD. Stuck one of those on the filter as it was in the airflow behind the grill. Was not much money - hid the white filter - doubt it removed much heat …

Nope, 2020 6.4L Challenger. Coolant temps stay in the 215-225F range. Oil temps are always 15 to 20 degrees above, always. Other 6.4L owners say it's normal as theirs does it as well. But it bothers me. I know FCA required 0W-40 natural gas derived 'synthetic unicorn tears' at 6 month intervals regardless of mileage but still. That much higher than coolant temp is out of my comfort zone.

FWIW, once the engine has reached normal operating temperature, the oil temperatures on my 2002 Jaguar XKR (4.0 L supercharged V-8) are always 14 -18 degrees higher than the coolant temperatures. About the same spread as what you’re reporting.

Normal oil temperature can be anything from 190 F in the wintertime to 245 in summertime stop and go traffic with ambient air temperature 105-120 F. Have been using M1 0w-40 since I bought the car 4 years & 60,000+ miles ago.

Z

Back