Claiming Citizenship via Ancestry. Ireland/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been researching this for Ireland, since my Dad has Irish roots. His surname is predominately Irish, but is is also British. His father "my grandfather" has a British middle name. Has anyone go through with citizenship via ancestry. I'm not even sure what documents I need to provide and the cost. I'm on budget like most are. Italy does this, Spain, Greece, Lithuania, and man many more countries in the EU..

You're going to want to search records, especially those in Ellis Island. My maternal grandfather's parents were both from Donegal, my great-grandfather from Killybegs and my great grandmother was from Ballybofey. However I think it just goes back to grandparents to claim citizenship for Ireland.

So you've lost all family history and are trying to re-establish citizenship someplace there you came from years ago?

Not everyone came through Ellis island or some such thing. People were sponsored, had other means of legally getting here. Especially if you have common names, it may be difficult to find the family unless you can start to do census and other searches based upon names you know are absolutely correct.

I guess I'm failing to understand the purpose, but it's always interesting to know who and where your roots were. Of all our ancestors, every root of my wife and I are traceable to at least the 1700s, with one lineage going back nearly 1000 years, which blows my mind.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My family has lived in California for 10 generations during Spanish, Mexican and USA rule. What's my citizenship? (USA took our Rancho, 😧)

I love the local history. Had to have been interesting when the area became part of the USA and people had all those land grants from Spain.

Sorry to hi-jack, I had history teachers ask me about it in college. My family is in a few books. The generations in my family around 1840 had no love for the gringos, now I'm as white as they come!

Given English, Scottish, Irish and Cornish descent here, and living in Oz, I'm pretty sure that I can't get UK citizenship, even 'though Betsie in Buckinhuge Palace is still my Monarch.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So you've lost all family history and are trying to re-establish citizenship someplace there you came from years ago?

Not everyone came through Ellis island or some such thing. People were sponsored, had other means of legally getting here. Especially if you have common names, it may be difficult to find the family unless you can start to do census and other searches based upon names you know are absolutely correct.

I guess I'm failing to understand the purpose, but it's always interesting to know who and where your roots were. Of all our ancestors, every root of my wife and I are traceable to at least the 1700s, with one lineage going back nearly 1000 years, which blows my mind.

The purpose is to get in touch with my heritage and to explore the greenery of Ireland. The weather seems mild there, so that's a plus. Please let's keep politics out of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were BORN in Ireland, or elsewhere, of at least one Irish parent, Ireland will allow you to KEEP your Irish citizenship even if you become a citizen of another country. (dual citizenship) I don't think that Having a grandparent who is Irish counts, though.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG

The purpose is to get in touch with my heritage and to explore the greenery of Ireland. The weather seems mild there, so that's a plus. Please let's keep politics out of this thread.

The point of my question was if you were intending to establish citizenship there vs just find graves and towns from where you may have come. The two may be quite different.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If you were BORN in Ireland, or elsewhere, of at least one Irish parent, Ireland will allow you to KEEP your Irish citizenship even if you become a citizen of another country. (dual citizenship) I don't think that Having a grandparent who is Irish counts, though.

Guy who used to be my boss had parents that were born in the UK, and he got to have dual citizenship.

Then when he had a son, the son was able to have dual as well...IIRC, they had to work pretty hard to pull that one off.

But like I said, a few generations down the line, I can't, and Bessie is still on our currency.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
But like I said, a few generations down the line, I can't, and Bessie is still on our currency.

Same deal here. Perhaps the Commonwealth should be a little more integrated in certain ways, but that's another discussion for another forum altogether.

Not everyone came through Ellis island or some such thing.

True, but even if you were born here and left, and then moved back, I'm pretty sure that you went through Ellis Island just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back