CK-4 Flat tappets and unseen additives

these new rated oils still meet alot of requirements for flat tappet engines. maybe they arent as stout as before or maybe they are better? But if they do meet some flat tappet engine requirements should we feel comfortable running them in older stock flat tappet engines or small engines???

these new rated oils still meet alot of requirements for flat tappet engines. maybe they arent as stout as before or maybe they are better? But if they do meet some flat tappet engine requirements should we feel comfortable running them in older stock flat tappet engines or small engines???
What exactly are the “flat tappet engine requirements” an oil needs to meet?

What exactly are the “flat tappet engine requirements” an oil needs to meet?
idk. indont do the testing but im referring to the list of builder specs that are on the bottles from manufacturers that have alot of flat tappet engines.

surely if its good enough for a detroit or cummings or whatever its good enough for a bone stock small block with stock valve springs or a lawn mower? right?

cause the higher zddp oils are getting fewer by the day it seems. im hoping these new additives we dont see work.

Depends on whether the flat tappet engine has a high lift cam or not-standard lift should be OK (although I wiped a few GM lobes back in the day with higher ZDDP oil), you can always add zinc additive if you're afraid the HDEO isn't stout enough. As always, used oil analysis is your friend!

What flat tappen engines? do you have a specific example or is this an overly-generalized question that has no good answer.

Well, if your engine uses flat tappet cams, which are more friction intensive than your modern valve train's low friction cam lobes, A higher ZDDP content is good, but too much can imbalance the TBN of the oil I believe, makes it somewhat lower. You might consider using ZDDP additives incase the ppm of zinc is lower, but add in moderation. Phosphor is also another anti wear additive used to enhance the protection of these flat tappet cams.

I don't believe that these modern CK-4 oils should be bad to run, they may have taken into consideration of this issue.

Your question as written has no clear answer, I think is what some of these folks are trying to get at. I'm still trying to make sense of it.

IME, most stock-ish flat tappet engines should perform just fine on modern CK-4 oils. Limits on phosphorous have been around a good while, and tons of people have been driving older vehicles with flat tappets for years and years on SM, SN, et al.

TX Plumber - I use a synthetic CK4 oil in a couple older flat tappet engines.

The ZDDP content in the DZF & DME are very similar to the CI4+ AME.

Hope that helps.

METALS AME DZF DME
Boron (ppm) 0 99 99
Sodium (ppm) 0 0 0
Magnesium (ppm)0 714 714
Calcium (ppm) 3614 1281 1281
Phosphorus (ppm) 1258 1206 1206
Zinc (ppm) 1384 1314 1314

I wanted to use my stash of Delvac Super 15W-40 on my Toyota 22RE flat tappet engine with upgraded valve springs....but since its also SN rated - it has even lower ZDDP than some other CK-4 rated HDEOs like Rotella...
decided against it and Rotella T5 15W-40, or Delvac 15W-40 Extreme is going in it.

ZDDP is only one answer to the question.

You'll be fine with any modern oil of the correct grade. Declining ZDDP levels do not mean declining wear protection.

If ZDDP is only one answer to flat-tappet wear....what are the others?

Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 CK-4/SN
Phosphorus
Zinc
Molybdenum
Titanium
Boron

Rotella T5 15W-40 CK-4
Phosphorus
Zinc
Molybdenum
Titanium
Boron

Delo 15W-40 CK-4/SN
Phosphorus
Zinc
Molybdenum
Titanium
Boron

TX Plumber - I use a synthetic CK4 oil in a couple older flat tappet engines.

The ZDDP content in the DZF & DME are very similar to the CI4+ AME.

Hope that helps.
Yes; I would think that a diesel oil would be very good in gas flat tappet applications as well.

Hmmmm looks like OP's profile is no longer available. Another victim.

A flat tappet engine with a stock valvetrain typically does not have lofty anti-wear requirements or require elevated levels of ZDDP. Sure, if you'e shoved a Lunatti Voodoo in there and are running significantly higher spring pressures elevated levels may be beneficial but you stated stock, so this really isn't something to worry about.

The HDEO's in question pass the requisite testing to meet the requirements for the various approvals they carry. Since these are predominantly diesel-oriented there may not be a nice clean correlation with gasser applications, but since many are dual-use designed for mixed-fleet one must assume that they are suitably formulated to work well in gasser applications as well, even lacking a list of petrol engine approvals.

Back