CJ-4 soot levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does using CJ-4 oil in an application help to reduce soot levels. We have an engine application in one of the tractors on our farm that after 200-250 hours will see 1.5-2% soot levels. Higher than anything else we run. The manual calls to use a CI-4 oil which we do. Despite the soot levels, wear numbers are still very low nd viscosity reads as it should.

If the soot level in the oil is high but wear numbers are low and viscosity is still good, then the oil is obviously doing exactly what it's supposed to do. I wouldn't change anything. Using a CJ oil should not affect the soot level in the oil. The soot has to go somewhere. If it doesn't wind up in the oil, where else should it go?

Originally Posted By: sdan27
Does using CJ-4 oil in an application help to reduce soot levels. We have an engine application in one of the tractors on our farm that after 200-250 hours will see 1.5-2% soot levels. Higher than anything else we run. The manual calls to use a CI-4 oil which we do. Despite the soot levels, wear numbers are still very low nd viscosity reads as it should.

CJ-4 does not reduce soot but does a much better job keeping it suspended in the oil. I also is much better at preventing soot related valve-train wear.

Hi,
sdan27 - With modern compliant HDEOs the engine manufacturers set a limit of from 3% to 4% depending on the product. Some synthetic HDEOs will tolerate up 5% with ease. I always used 3.5% with occasional "visits" to 5% in my Class 8 trucks

The API's CJ-4 quality rating appears to be a good classification for soot management

Not sure I understand how using a CJ-4 would reduce soot at all. Soot is created by the combustion, which is more of a problem with EGR equipped diesels. CJ-4 was designed to keep the soot from "clumping" and keep it is suspension better than previous formulations.

The only way I was able to substantially reduce soot in my ISX was to disable the EGR. Now that really brought down soot levels.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Not sure I understand how using a CJ-4 would reduce soot at all. Soot is created by the combustion, which is more of a problem with EGR equipped diesels. CJ-4 was designed to keep the soot from "clumping" and keep it is suspension better than previous formulations.

The only way I was able to substantially reduce soot in my ISX was to disable the EGR. Now that really brought down soot levels.

That's exactly what I would have expected as well, TiredTrucker. Thanks for the clarification.

sdan: Do those tractors have the pumps "turned up" vs the others? Or do they lug more... run long periods under load blowing smoke? If so, the answer could be as simple as dropping down a gear, run the revs up a little and clear the stack.

Still, the amount of soot you note at the end of an OCI is not critical, as Doug has said, and the CJ-4 is better at holding oil in suspension as Mokanic said, because it's designed for engines with high soot loads (EGR equipped)..

I wouldn't switch to CJ-4 unless I was running ULSD but I would switch immediately to CJ-4 if I was. Been running ULSD for three years now and really haven't noticed any detrimental effects and one benefit... less smoke. I keep track of my fuel use as closely as I can and I didn't note an uptick. My diesel pickup is short hopped so much these days that it's hard to tell but I don't think it dropped enough to note either.

Even though its a few years old now I think it has some kind of EGR system. We do use ULSD. We did have an issue with the valves getting way out of adjustment after about 2000 hours so maybe using the CJ-4 will help reduce that. I think we'll continue to use CI-4 Plus for the rest of the fleet but order a 5-gallon bucket of CJ-4 when the OCI comes around.

I agree with every comment.

In a nutshell, oil (as we all know) does not produce soot, but rather helps control it.

The rate of soot production is a function of engine design, fuel used, and type of service. Soot control is a function of the dispersent and detergent portion of the additive packages. So, oil cannot "reduce" soot; it helps deal with it's presence AFTER the creation of it.

Since CJ-4 was desgined to superceed previous versions, and EGR is ever increasing in these coresponding engine designs, then it only stands to reason that CJ-4 will handle soot "better" than previous oils.

2% soot with CJ-4 oil is nothing to be concerned of. As you state, your wear is low and your vis is OK. Keep using the oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back