Civic Hybrid- M1-0W-30 5100 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman:
I agree 100% with you.
I believe a realistic average mileage number for the Insight is around 60MPG, IF you include all driving, year round.
I have also achieved 60MPG with my automatic Toyota Echo. This is only possible on a warm weather day, trying to stay around 50 mph for a few hours, on a flat road and no wind.
Over 100k miles my average is 41.3MPG (yes, in US gallons).

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

I routinely get 100 mpg driving to work, but average 90 overall. It's just a matter of watching the gauges and controling the lean-burn mode. Kinda like playing a video game.
wink.gif
I smell BS here.

And I feel myself turning red with anger. I don't appreciate you implying I'm a liar.

If you go to http://www.insightcentral.net you can find lots of people with 70, 80, or even 90 lifetime averages.

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
65.7 MPG is the lifetime average on that website. Pretty close to what I mentioned.

Yep, like I said, I smell BS in Farfel's MPG. His average is 25 MPG higher than everyone else? I don't think so. Does he have magic feet or something? Only drives downhill??

quote:

Originally posted by farfel:

quote:

Originally posted by highmiler:
farfel: Do you only drive downhill? How do you obtain 90 MPG?

-If you drive 55 on a nice flat interstate, the Honda Insight will easily get 90 mpg.
-If you drive 45, it will get 100 mpg (albeit more challenging).
-Once while driving *with* the wind from home to work, I got 120 mpg!

I routinely get 100 mpg driving to work, but average 90 overall. It's just a matter of watching the gauges and controling the lean-burn mode. Kinda like playing a video game.
wink.gif

If you think that's amazing, VW-Germany has a 2-seat diesel prototype that gets 240 mpg.

Farfel,

Will my 550hp mopar big block get 50mpg turning it off at redlights and turning off going downhill. Will it need three or four batteries for the electric drive?

Dan

"Current Best: 88.3"

That's me. Except I've increased it by +3 since then. I drive slow (55) in order to achieve that. Like I said, it's a game for me to get the highest score.

quote:

Right about the time you might start getting close to breaking even you'll need to sink many thousands into a new battery pack (hopefully past 100,000 miles).

EDIT: REVISED STATEMENT

Since you guys feel uncomfortable with my 90mpg claim, I will re-calculate: "[InsightCentral.net] shows a lifetime average of [~70] miles per gallon for stick shift Insights which is a fuel savings of [~$7500] over 200,000 miles vs. a lightweight [30] mpg car (example: stick shift Honda Civic)."

Repeat: $7500 saved.

That should more than offset the cost *if* you need a new battery...which you should not. The battery like the engine is a permanent install.

[ November 08, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: farfel ]

I don't want to fall in to the heated discussion here, but I do want to chime in...

I don't not buy the high mileage claims. My reasoning:
  • Late 1980's Civic HX were getting 50MPG without batteries, some even a bit more than that.
  • This is Honda, a company that is progresive in delivering it's technologies to market
  • a hybrid engine/battery mix,
  • and a slow driver
I believe 90MPG is possibly achievable.

Not within the realms of being practical for 99.9% of us, but possible.

As for the UOA, I wouldn't use M1 0w-30 after seeing this UOA and another recent one here. Seems like the 5w-30 does a better job keeping iron in check. For 0w-30 it seems like there's no substitute for the Good Castrol....

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

I believe 90MPG is possibly achievable.

I believe it is possible too, at it's absolute best under ideal conditions, but not as an overall lifetime average under all types of traffic jams, climbing hills, loaded up with stuff, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by farfel:
"Current Best: 88.3"

That's me. Except I've increased it by +3 since then. I drive slow (55) in order to achieve that. Like I said, it's a game for me to get the highest score.

quote:

Right about the time you might start getting close to breaking even you'll need to sink many thousands into a new battery pack (hopefully past 100,000 miles).

EDIT: REVISED STATEMENT

Since you guys feel uncomfortable with my 90mpg claim, I will re-calculate: "[InsightCentral.net] shows a lifetime average of [~70] miles per gallon for stick shift Insights which is a fuel savings of [~$7500] over 200,000 miles vs. a lightweight [30] mpg car (example: stick shift Honda Civic)."

Repeat: $7500 saved.

That should more than offset the cost *if* you need a new battery...which you should not. The battery like the engine is a permanent install.

Smaller NiMH batteries have a life of about 500-1000 charge/discharge cycles. Shallower charge/discharge cycles will will give a greater number of cycles but even so, because the batteries are chemical they are not "permanent."

I wouldn't expect them to last 10 years and anything over 5 years is probably good. The fact that the warranty is 3 years, 36K miles and that Honda makes no hard claims about battery life is telling to me...

Hi All:

___A little known feature of our Honda Insight’s is that they hold lifetime mpg’s in the odometer screen … As for real world? You bet it is. I travel in and amongst a sea of Sedans, SUV’s, and Big Rigs through some of the worst traffic nightmares in and around Chicago that you can imagine. This is in temperatures ranging from -5 to 95 degrees F year round. I don’t know how much more real world and un-ideal you can get then that.

-

Little Red Beauty

___Some here might also be interested in this World Record on a single tank fuel from a mass-produced automobile?

The Attempt …

___Finally, the world record from a hypermileage machine is > 10,000 mpg’s held by a French entry which beat the longstanding Japanese record by ~ 500 mpg earlier this year. These however are not streetable machines in the least but special extreme low profile, low Cd, low everything else hand built skateboards for all intents and purposes.

___Enough said …

___As an edit, 0W-20 Mobil1 with the lowest kinematic viscosity of any recommended oil is what I use in my Honda, Acura, and Ford.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

[ November 10, 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: xcel ]

Minor point of clarification: the Insight's hybrid battery pack, and all hybrid components, are under warranty for 8 years, or 80,000 miles. The "battery warranty" you are thinking of refers to the 12 volt under the hood, not the 144 volt in the back.

There have been a small number of people who have eventually needed a replacement battery, but not very many. Frequent cycling is not much of an issue: I've had my Insight for over a year and the pack has cycled (within the amount that the battery controller will allow you to cycle it; the battery controller won't let you charge it above 80% or discharge below 20%) about three times.

welcome.gif

First of all welcome to our new members, Foxpaw and Xcel. The gas mileage and the methods of incorporating the electric/gas mode is very interesting.

I am going to start a new thread in Automotive General Topic on this subject. Trying to get this one back on track concerning only the oil analysis. So for discussion other that the analysis please post in this thread: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=42&t=000945

smile.gif

[ November 10, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back