Citgo Supergard Synthetic 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Excellent site you're got here! I was wondering what you experts think of this oil. Citgo Supergard Synthetic 10W-30. I was browsing around at Mills Fleet Farm and noticed it has an ACEA A3-02 and API SM rating. From what I've been reading ACEA A3 oils have an HTHS Rate of 3.5 or higher. This is 3.2, so is the ACEA A3-02 rating an older standard? ("02" as in year 2002?) I'm currently running Mobil 1 0W-40 in my 96 BMW 318ti and have no intentions of switching. Well, maybe the GC which is sold just a couple blocks away
wink.gif
Really just looking to learn!

CitgoSupergardSynthetic.jpg

Last edited:
First off
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Not sure what to tell you about the ACEA rating. My understanding is to get A3 approval the HTHS is 3.5 or higher, which this oil is not.

This is a decent Group III synthetic oil, but it is no replacement for the Mobil 1 0W-40 that you are using.

I'm sure more will chime in.

Also, I know Citgo is a Chavez brand, etc. (I'm not going to buy this stuff anyways) Just looking for a pure technical discussion. Thanks!

Last edited:
Let me join Johnny in welcoming you to the site.

I can't really add anything to what Johnnie already said, except that I've been very happy with the GC in every car I've tried it in (V-6 Camry, Sequoia, G35, Avalon, Ancient Seville, and Prius). Some folks with engines that call primarily for low vis oils have reported sluggishness from the stuff, but most like it, and the UOAs speak for themselves. My wife's Avalon is back-spec to 5w-20, but it's running GC right now, and it's about as well-behaved and nice-performing as they come. Personally, I can't say enough good about this stuff. I would add that I still have eighty-something quarts of the "green" version of GC, but it seems that the later, normal-colored versions are just as good. You should try a fill and see how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back