Citgo motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in looking at some differences between Citgo motor oils and noted the following:
code:

HTHS

10w-30 synthetic blend priced at $1.89 3.5

10w-30 Supergard priced at $0.96 3.0

5w-30 Supergard 0.96 3.2

10w-40 Supergard 0.96 3.5

I was somewhat surprised (and disappointed) to see that the 10w-30 HTHS was actually lower than the 5w-30.

But here is what has me scratching my head now.

There was a clearance of Citgo (or it might have been Mystik - another Citgo product line) Full synthetic 15w-50 "API SJ" marked down to $1.25 qrt. I believe the Citgo is a PAO synthetic both in this product and their synthetic blends. I would have stocked up but couldn't justify using a such a heavy viscosity grade as I prefer to run 10w-30 and sometimes 10w-40 in summer months. Now I'm thinking perhaps I could just add one quart of the 15w-50 to each oil change.

Any thoughts on using this "SJ" 15w-50 synthetic oil?

Cressida,

If your motor is designed to use SJ or previous oils and the CITGO isn't more than a couple of years old (there is disagreement on the shelf life of oils [projections range from 4-10 years {unopened}]) then I don't see why you shouldn't use it.

Since the blend is probably only 10% synthetic that would seem to be a pretty good deal. I'd have no problem doing that in the summer. Didn't know that was PAO, however. That would be an OK deal even if it was group III.

[ August 05, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: csandste ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back