Cilantro vs Parsley for Salsa/Guacamole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
I'm not sure what Jesus has to do with a conversation about parsley and cilantro but I'd rather read F bombs than to read God's name blasphemed. Editor?

Somebody call the waaaaaaaaaaaaambulance

I bet plenty of people named Jesus make excellent salsa, and certainly not with any parsley.

I agree with Aichiguy. There's no since in blasphemy. No crying here.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: sleepery
I made the mistake of purchasing parsley instead of cilantro earlier today. I should have looked at the leaves better . The sign on the store shelf said cilantro and I grabbed a bunch right beneath the sign thinking it was cilantro but it turned out to be parsley . They were next to one another on the shelf .

Would it be ok in salsa and or guacamole ? I have dried cilantro but it is a bit old and am debating if I should bite the bullet and go out and get the cilantro .

Lol, life's problems ….

OP,

If serving salsa/guacamole to a party, Cilantro.

If too hot outside and just for you, parsley. The worst case, you won't do it next time...

Or if you make a soup, use the parsley there, freshly chopped.

Now, crazy question: who uses dill leaves? and for what?

Baked chicken in a sour cream sauce needs dill leaves....

Dill is very common in Northern European cuisine. Especially Scandinavia.

Fresh dill is a very "Summer" kinda thing that is used with seasonal foods like New Potatoes (small sized first harvest) etc.

Also Lax (Salmon) is cured with Sugar, Salt and Dill as the base.

Fresh dill is awesome, but not everyone likes it. Meijer carries it.

I love parsley and cilantro. I like to chop up an entire large bunch of parsley and add it to a pot of food. Kids don't appreciate that.
lol.gif

I never had cilantro as a child, yet I like it. Some people can't stand it. It's one of those polarizing flavors.

But despite their similar appearance, parsley does not subsitute for cilantro in most cases. Aside from the flavor difference, cilantro is tender and easy to chew raw, whereas parsley can be tough. Conversely, cilantro loses flavor quickly if cooked, while parsley is great in cooked food.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Now, crazy question: who uses dill leaves? and for what?

I also use blooming dill branches for pickling cucumbers. I supposed that's why they call them dill pickles.
smile.gif

35703464600_2843416e11_z.jpg

Originally Posted By: sleepery
I made the mistake of purchasing parsley instead of cilantro earlier today. I should have looked at the leaves better . The sign on the store shelf said cilantro and I grabbed a bunch right beneath the sign thinking it was cilantro but it turned out to be parsley . They were next to one another on the shelf .

Would it be ok in salsa and or guacamole ? I have dried cilantro but it is a bit old and am debating if I should bite the bullet and go out and get the cilantro .

Lol, life's problems ….

Why don't you try it?

It's called cooking. Cooking means you're allowed to make modifications to recipes. You won't know how it turns out until you try it.

If you make Shepard's Pie, do you make it with beef, like a lot of Irish establishments? (which is wrong by the way). It's supposed to be made with lamb, hence a Shepard. But somewhere along the way, it got modified to beef.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Why don't you try it?

It's called cooking.
Technically, there is no 'cooking' involved in making salsa.
smile.gif

I agree with previous poster that uncooked parsley leaves are harder/tougher and more chewy than cilantro leaves. With that said, there are some dishes that specifically call for parsley leaves, such as tabbouleh (tabouli), to give it more crunch. Very different texture though. You probably don't want 'crunch' in your salsa. The chips provide the crunch.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Why don't you try it?

It's called cooking.
Technically, there is no 'cooking' involved in making salsa.
smile.gif

I agree with previous poster that uncooked parsley leaves are harder/tougher and more chewy than cilantro leaves. With that said, there are some dishes that specifically call for parsley leaves, such as tabbouleh (tabouli), to give it more crunch. Very different texture though. You probably don't want 'crunch' in your salsa. The chips provide the crunch.
smile.gif

Onions provide a little crunch in salsa, unless you cook the onions to soften them.

If you use some peppers like jalapeno, they also add a little crunch to the salsa

Last edited:
I ended up using the parsley . It tasted ok not like cilantro but with all the ingredients :(tomato, avocado, onion, garlic, peppers, lime juice and spices) it was good .

I love salsa, provided there are no large leaves of cilantro to bite into.
Cilantro in any other dish makes me want to scream.

To me, cilantro tastes like I'm sucking on a rusty spoon. In other words, [censored] tastes like blood.

hate hate hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back