Cilantro vs Parsley for Salsa/Guacamole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the mistake of purchasing parsley instead of cilantro earlier today. I should have looked at the leaves better . The sign on the store shelf said cilantro and I grabbed a bunch right beneath the sign thinking it was cilantro but it turned out to be parsley . They were next to one another on the shelf .

Would it be ok in salsa and or guacamole ? I have dried cilantro but it is a bit old and am debating if I should bite the bullet and go out and get the cilantro .

Lol, life's problems ….

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Get the cilantro. flat leaf parsley has a much different flavor and texture and will throw off your salsa.

Not nearly as much as that nasty cilantro does
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Get the cilantro. flat leaf parsley has a much different flavor and texture and will throw off your salsa.

wink.gif

Ah, so you're one of THOSE.
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Guys,

Cilantro is an acquired taste...

I grew up with parsley. so yup, I may be one of those.

P.S. Am I the crazy one for eating fries with Salsa Verde instead of ketchup when in a mexican place?

Originally Posted By: sleepery
I made the mistake of purchasing parsley instead of cilantro earlier today. I should have looked at the leaves better . The sign on the store shelf said cilantro and I grabbed a bunch right beneath the sign thinking it was cilantro but it turned out to be parsley . They were next to one another on the shelf .

Would it be ok in salsa and or guacamole ? I have dried cilantro but it is a bit old and am debating if I should bite the bullet and go out and get the cilantro .

Lol, life's problems ….

OP,

If serving salsa/guacamole to a party, Cilantro.

If too hot outside and just for you, parsley. The worst case, you won't do it next time...

Or if you make a soup, use the parsley there, freshly chopped.

Now, crazy question: who uses dill leaves? and for what?

Baked chicken in a sour cream sauce needs dill leaves....

Originally Posted By: pandus13

wink.gif

wink.gif

Guys,

P.S. Am I the crazy one for eating fries with Salsa Verde instead of ketchup when in a mexican place?

Perhaps I should explain.. and I suppose this is my fault since inflection doesn't generally carry through on forums. I was being facetious, hence the wink.

What I was actually implying was that perhaps you are one of the percentage of people to whom cilantro has a distinct "soap" flavor and smell.

Personally, I love both, just in different things. I grow both every year in my herb garden, at least until the sun and heat kill them.

To me is a really strange taste, like a different type of mint+parsley+lovage, kind-off...

And no worries, I'm not a sensitive snowflake. I can take a joke!
beer3.gif

I'd suggest you make the salsa without the parsley first, then test a small amount with the parsley. I have some old dried cilantro that I use occasionally when I don't have fresh on hand. I think in your situation, it would be better than nothing, but in my experience, I can barely taste the dried cilantro.

I've never been much of a dill fan.

I may hold off on making salsa until tomorrow and get the cilantro .

Have not used dill leaves but chopped dill in dips and yogurt sauce is good with meats and veggies .

EdwardC- I also can barely taste dried cilantro when using it . It is probably the reason I still have it after all this time . I thought it was just me .

If I ain't got no cilantro, I ain't got no salsa, guac, etc.

I'd just send my wife out and stay at home on bitog.

I grew up on parsley, but I prefer cilantro, especially in salsa - it's much more aromatic and flavorful. It's one of those love/hate things. I happen to love it.

Now, crazy question: who uses dill leaves? and for what?

I add fresh dill when I make cauliflower soup.

My mom sprinkles fresh dill on potatoes.

Lots of different kinds of salsas. Make a chimichurri instead. My girlfriend is from Guatemala and uses parsley a lot over cilantro in her recipes.

I'm not sure what Jesus has to do with a conversation about parsley and cilantro but I'd rather read F bombs than to read God's name blasphemed. Editor?

Cilantro for me.

But i'm sure parsley would do just fine. Depends on the consumer's tastes. Try splitting into two batches and see.
I often use both when making chimichuri.

wink.gif

wink.gif

Guys,

Why order fries in a Mex restaurant?

FWIW: Do remember that cilantro and I guess every other herb can vary greatly. Sometimes strong sometimes mild.

The BEST thing to do is make some and try to note the intensity of the smells etc. Then continue to make it regularly.

It'll heighten your ability to "gauge as you go". Before you know it you'll be a "master" who can 'tailor the flavor'.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
I'm not sure what Jesus has to do with a conversation about parsley and cilantro but I'd rather read F bombs than to read God's name blasphemed. Editor?

Somebody call the waaaaaaaaaaaaambulance

I bet plenty of people named Jesus make excellent salsa, and certainly not with any parsley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back