CI-4 Rotella 5w40 Syn found, should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my local Wal-mart stocked a fair size shelf with the older quarts of CI-4 Rotella 5w40 Synthetic. I, as well as many others on here, believe it had a better add-pack than the CJ-4.

It's not on clearance and no discount is offered, but i'm thinking about stocking up. Should I? This stuff doesn't show up very often anymore and probably won't see it again around here.

BTW, it's Farmington, MO Wal-mart in case anyone is interested.

Rob

Its very good oil but I wouldn't go searching for it since the new RT6 is turning in just as good UOAs as the old CI4. I would probably only get it if it were on clearance, personally.

For some more high performance applications I would say the higher anti wear additive levels would be better, otherwise the new stuff is just as good.

I'm still trying to ficure out why CI4 oils are "better" than CJ4 offerings...
21.gif

I thought it was confirmed the newer T6 actually had slightly MORE ZDDP, and a better ad pack??

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
21.gif

Darn good question.

But let's not let facts and data get in the way of a good myth, with a side helping of rhetoric ...

21.gif

At the time CJ4 it came out, a lot of the 'net was going nuts worrying about zinc/phos, so, they stocked up on the CI-4+. Like me - I think I have about 30 gallons that I got for a great price ($13/gal, I think it was) at Sam's..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
For some more high performance applications I would say the higher anti wear additive levels would be better, otherwise the new stuff is just as good.

HDEOs haven't changed quite the same way that PCMOs have. SM rated HDEOs still have high AW additive levels, its just that they've juggled the ratios of various additives around a little. In the case of RTS, it seems like they just traded swapped the amounts of Ca and Mg around. At least that's what shows up on UOAs and VOAs, I'm sure there are other differences that dont' show on $30 oil analyses. But wear metals continue to look every bit as good, or even better, on CJ/SM RT6 than they did on CI/SL RTS.

21.gif

Theoretically, CI-4 SHOULD have a higher initial TBN level, which would allow a longer drain interval. I still have a whole bunch of CH-4 rated Delo 400 SAE 30 in gallons-wonder if the TBN numbers would be even HIGHER than CI-4!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

HDEOs haven't changed quite the same way that PCMOs have. SM rated HDEOs still have high AW additive levels, its just that they've juggled the ratios of various additives around a little. In the case of RTS, it seems like they just traded swapped the amounts of Ca and Mg around. At least that's what shows up on UOAs and VOAs, I'm sure there are other differences that dont' show on $30 oil analyses. But wear metals continue to look every bit as good, or even better, on CJ/SM RT6 than they did on CI/SL RTS.

I know the levels did not drop as much or to such levels, but the older oils did have higher zddp and detergent levels as well as the higher tbn as mentioned earlier. They were really good for racing applications. The new CJ4 is still good, but I have a preference for the older ones, especially for a cleaning oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back