Chrysler Oil Spec

Yes, there have been a gazillion 5W-20 vs 5W-30 threads, but this is about a manufacturer's specification. My Jeep owners manual recommends 5W-20 oil, specifically recommending Pennzoil Platinum or Shell Helix. It also states the oil must meet Chrysler MS-6395.

Fine, no el problemo, except while I'm looking at Wally World's Pennzoil Platinum assortment, I see that the 5W-30 (which I use in everything else with 4 wheels) says it meets Chrysler MS-6395 specs - this spec in my owners book is supposedly for 5W-20 ??? Yet the spec seems to include 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30

SO . . . according to this bit of confusion, I can use any of those oil weights and they would be within the 'recommended' specification . . . or is it ? What am I missing here ?

Tanx in advance

Yes, there have been a gazillion 5W-20 vs 5W-30 threads, but this is about a manufacturer's specification. My Jeep owners manual recommends 5W-20 oil, specifically recommending Pennzoil Platinum or Shell Helix. It also states the oil must meet Chrysler MS-6395.

Fine, no el problemo, except while I'm looking at Wally World's Pennzoil Platinum assortment, I see that the 5W-30 (which I use in everything else with 4 wheels) says it meets Chrysler MS-6395 specs - this spec in my owners book is supposedly for 5W-20 ??? Yet the spec seems to include 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30

SO . . . according to this bit of confusion, I can use any of those oil weights and they would be within the 'recommended' specification . . . or is it ? What am I missing here ?

Tanx in advance

Yes those grades meet the MS6395 spec. That along with the owner's manual for my 2016 Wrangler was the green light for me to use a 30 grade oil, in-spite of what's written on the fill cap. Having said that I have no idea if you're under warranty, or if that concerns you. I wanted to use a 30 grade oil, and wasn't concerned about a potential warranty issue.

Yes those grades meet the MS6395 spec. That along with the owner's manual for my 2016 Wrangler was the green light for me to use a 30 grade oil, in-spite of what's written on the fill cap. Having said that I have no idea if you're under warranty, or if that concerns you. I wanted to use a 30 grade oil, and wasn't concerned about a potential warranty issue.

Thanx for the comeback. Warranties come and go, but longevity and reliability are a constant. Mine is a 2016, 3.6 V6. Our other vehicles all run 5W-30, and I suppose I'm old enough to not really feel comfy with 20 weight anything.

Thanx for the comeback. Warranties come and go, but longevity and reliability are a constant. Mine is a 2016, 3.6 V6. Our other vehicles all run 5W-30, and I suppose I'm old enough to not really feel comfy with 20 weight anything.
I switched to a 30 grade oil at my first OCI in the 2016 Wrangler, and I haven't looked back. I wasn't feeling the love for 20 grade oils anymore.

Tanx in advance

MS-6395 isn't grade dependent. If it says a 5W-20 that meets MS-6395 that's what it means.

Havoline Pro DS Synthetic is $17.97 for a 6 qt box at Walmart and also meets MS-6395. Just in case you are looking for an alternative.

You'd think that some guys have an affiliation with certain oil companies the way they constantly promote them.

Why would you think that? I just pointed out a cheaper alternative if he was looking for a synthetic MS-6395. I'm not about to promote the oil I use as it doesn't meet his requirements as it's not MS-6395.

Tanx in advance

Didn’t read all the comments and missed the year of your Jeep.

My brother has a 2016 Wrangler. 5w20 is recommended in the manual, but on the next page it says 5w30 can be used.

MS-6395 isn't grade dependent. If it says a 5W-20 that meets MS-6395 that's what it means.
Exactly. Although my 08 Liberty has the same oil spec, and makes it perfectly clear in the OM to ONLY USE 5W20. There's a 30 grade in that sump too.

I have read on this a bunch (2016 3.6).
My reading is that spec is recommended (marketing) for these motors - the 3.6 and 5.7 (below 'Scat Pack' level, I didn't fine tooth those!).

"Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used."

They discuss the "certification mark" in the section on API, and "viscosity" in a number of places.
They do not use "certification" when discussing 6395, they use"approved".
They do not say non-"recommended" oils should not be used.
They are just recommended, and when they do it is for "starting" and "economy" - not engine life or warranty.

I think they spent 100's of hours walking a fine line with the marketing and legal guys guiding them, and it has paid off in the forums!

Yeah, when I read my new Jeep manual … found the Chrysler material standards less straightforward than how Dexos and grade were very specific with the Tahoe. I have way too much Dexos stash to worry about it … The Jeep will be getting stuff I already have …

I picked up a bunch of quarts of Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 for my 2019 Wrangler with the 3.6. It does meet the MS-6395 Chrysler spec and was on clearance at Advance for 2.49 per quart. I have enough to last me until the powertrain warranty expires and then I will switch to a 5w-30 synthetic.

I have studied this seems like every since I have bought my Van. The only oil I avoid is Mobil1. The reason is simply neither Mobil1 nor Dodge will help if engine gets an internal problem. Mopar stated not approved not covered Mobil1 stated not approved not covered. I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 this oil change then Valvoline Advance Synthetic with Maxlife 5w20. To many oils that meet spec to worry. I have bought all my oils on sale. I just checked my records yesterday and have done 5k except last 2 oil changes cause I didn't like the way Havoline Pro DS ran so it went out early and Valvoline Daily went in then changed out at 15k. I was going to go OLM from now on but just can't as my records show 5k on used vehicles I never had an engine failure due to the oil. Hard to break habits. I went from 3k to 5k 10 years ago.

2018 Grand Caravan
18200 miles

Last edited:
Why would you think that? I just pointed out a cheaper alternative if he was looking for a synthetic MS-6395. I'm not about to promote the oil I use as it doesn't meet his requirements as it's not MS-6395.
If memory serves, it seems that you recommend that 6 qt. box very often.

If memory serves, it seems that you recommend that 6 qt. box very often.

Probably because it's the cheapest name brand that meets the specs in question. So yes you will see me mention it when a Synthetic SN+/SP GF-5/GF-6 Dexos Ford or Mopar Spec is desired. Although I certainly don't have issues with store brands that meet the desired approvals.

When M1 adds MS-6395 or Platinum drops to under $3 a qt that might change.

Last edited:
Probably because it's the cheapest name brand that meets the specs in question. So yes you will see me mention it when a Synthetic SN+/SP GF-5/GF-6 Dexos Ford or Mopar Spec is desired. Although I certainly don't have issues with store brands that meet the desired approvals.

When M1 adds MS-6395 or Platinum drops to under $3 a qt that might change.
I'm switching to the 6 Quart box for the ease of handling after buying a 5 quart jug and a single quart for my first change in my recent Chrysler T&C purchase. I'm a die hard Valvoline guy, but like the 6 quart box idea, and cost. Nothing wrong with Havoline either. My Rouge will still get Valvoline.

My 95 Wrangler with 250,000 miles gets whatever 15w-40 is on sale. A jug of Rotella is sitting on the shelf right now for it. It has Valvoline in it currently.

Im coming up on my first oil change in 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Valvoline syn 0w 20...thought about using the Havoline Box syn 0w20 .....but stick with the Valvoline for now.
Back in another life i was a mud eng in the oil field working for Dresser Ind which used a feet of 4 door Ford Torino's with 351 2v
engines.....The engines were failing so bad Ford sent 2 engineers to Houston to try and figure out what was the cause of failure.
I got one Tornino with 12k miles on going to west Texas on I-10 out of S.A. and the engine blew.......starting blowing white smoke.
One of the fix's Ford came u with was use Havoline 10w-30 in all off the Torino's with a 351 2v... and check the oil every other fill up.....
That was in 1977...and it impressed me so much that Ford said to use Havoline in their 351's that I used it my cars till Texaco was bought out.

I've used 5w-30, 5w-20 and 0w-20 in the Caravan. Both Pennzoil and Valvoline and currently running VWB. I don't lose any sleep over specs. I'm easy on the motor when driving and change the oil at reasonable intervals.

Some people are super paranoid about not using the proper spec in the owners manual. How did we survive 20 years ago???

I've used 5w-30, 5w-20 and 0w-20 in the Caravan. Both Pennzoil and Valvoline and currently running VWB. I don't lose any sleep over specs. I'm easy on the motor when driving and change the oil at reasonable intervals.

Some people are super paranoid about not using the proper spec in the owners manual. How did we survive 20 years ago???
All 3 meet the specs. My Caravan loved Pennzoil and Valvoline but did worse on ProDs

Back