Chrysler 2.5 L Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ex brought her 92 Voyager with a 87 2.5 L engine in it for me to try and fix and sell. The problem is 1: oil light flicker on and off at idle especiall if there is a load on the engine such as turning the steering. 2: There is a horrible sound coming from the engine that is more a rattle then a nock and it is coming from the timing belt side. I am thinking valves (oil starved) or the water pump or the timing belt idler bearing (that is brand new) It sounds more like a spinning bearing gone way bad then an actual internal engine bearing.

Any Ideas?

Ken

It's probably the 2.5L-4. That noise you describe by the timing belt I had on mine until I removed the timimg belt cover after adjusting it a million times. I can't help you with the rest of your problems.

It is indeed the Dodge 2.5 L I4 engine some body put it into a 92 and it came from a 87.

It just sounds like a bearing that is about to go the ball type bearing. This spring I replaced the timing belt and idler and that is when I discovered it was a 87 engine. 92 parts don't fit! The noise can only be heard when ideling or it is changing gears or you let off the gas.... sigh....

Ken

Sounds like a case for the people at allpar.com. The 2.5's almost always have a bit of a rattle noise to them. My old 89 Spirit had a rather loud rattle, it actually seemed like both a rattle and a knock sound. I didn't have the car long enough to find out if it was detrimental to the engine, but I believe I read at allpar.net that one of the causes of the 2.5 rattle/knock was excessive valve clearence, or some problem with the piston pin. I also seem to recall something about cracked piston skirts in that mix. Anyway, check out that website, you'll be glad you did.

Have you started it without any drive belts on it? That's about the only thing that has whirring ball bearings. I had the loudest whirring noise. I thought it was the trans. Changed the serpentine belt and started it up before putting the AC belt back on ..no whirring
dunno.gif
The AC clutch bearing is going to go someday. I guess I should take the belt off ..but I want to get the AC fixed. If I take off the belt, I've taken one more step towards not getting it done.

My bro had an '87 Sundance 2.2 that rattled from the day he got it until about 150,000 miles when he sold it. Didn't seem to be a problem except being annoying.

My '88 Sundance & '89 Shadow manuals both said having a flickering oil light at hot idle was 'Normal'. My Sundance (2.2ltr with 100k miles) didn't flicker at idle at all, but my Shadow (2.5L turbo with 220k miles) did.

Virtuoso it only flickers when at hot idle.
As for the other problem the van is now buried in 5 inches of snow so I won't be getting to it for a while!
grin.gif

the 2.2/2.5 liter engines were notorious for having a knocking noise, they would need something like a "wrist pin tuneup". i had a shadow that did not have this problem. it was the test car for synthetic oil for my dad. the engine ran great til 140,000 miles when we got rid of it. definetly check out allpar.com they have a lot of information about mopars of any year and type.

Why dont you put an oil pressure guage on it and see if you have an issue. The 2.5 engine is bullit proof assuming it wasnt run low on oil. How is the compression??

Rattle could be the timing belt tensioner, water pump, or the adjuster pulley for the AC.

Check all the belts and pulleys for alignment, particularly the alternator. The alt bushings go to pot and make the alt sit cock-eyed and off center.

Sometimes you can swap the front and back rubber bushing as the front gets more wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back