Chrylser interior care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some things I noticed about Chrysler's interior care from reading the interior care section of my Charger's manual; Chryler advises specifically against the use of ArmorAll and Chrysler is pretty specific about the cleaning of leather. What do y'all think? Why the hate against ArmorAll? Is their leather cleaner really something special or specifically formulated for their leather?

"Interior Trim should be cleaned starting with a damp
cloth, or Mopar Satin Select. Do not use harsh cleaners
or Armorall. Use Mopar Total Clean to clean vinyl
upholstery."

"Mopar Total Clean is specifically recommended for
leather upholstery.

Your leather upholstery can be best preserved by regular
cleaning with a damp soft cloth. Small particles of dirt
can act as an abrasive and damage the leather upholstery
and should be removed promptly with a damp cloth.
Stubborn soils can be removed easily with a soft cloth
and Mopar Total Clean or equivalent. Care should be
taken to avoid soaking your leather upholstery with any
liquid. Please do not use polishes, oils, cleaning fluids,
solvents, detergents, or ammonia-based cleaners to clean
your leather upholstery. Application of a leather conditioner
is not required to maintain the original condition."

Uh-oh.

Been using protectants like Vinylex and more recently Lucas Interior Slick Mist on my PT Cruiser for over 6 years now. And I've used leather treatments.

I guess I've ruined it.

I mean you can't tell that I've ruined it. It all still looks new except for a few wrinkles in the leather. But Chrysler says I've ruined it for not using their specially branded product.

Darn.

I also used similar products on my Chrysler Convertible. Maybe that's why someone cut a "sunroof" in my convertible top. To punish me for using Armor-All.

Not sure, but I think Chrysler uses " Corinthian" Leather...
lol.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_leather

Last edited:
I am also against Armor All. Mainly because its not needed and gives an annoying glare in sunlight.
I clean my dash with a damp rag.. None of those useless products need to be applied. Leather, I have no idea. I've only owned 2 cars with leather and I never touched it.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Uh-oh.

Been using protectants like Vinylex and more recently Lucas Interior Slick Mist on my PT Cruiser for over 6 years now. And I've used leather treatments.

I guess I've ruined it.

I mean you can't tell that I've ruined it. It all still looks new except for a few wrinkles in the leather. But Chrysler says I've ruined it for not using their specially branded product.

Darn.

I also used similar products on my Chrysler Convertible. Maybe that's why someone cut a "sunroof" in my convertible top. To punish me for using Armor-All.

Hey Spazdog - sorry to hear that you ruined your PT Cruiser.
frown.gif
I'll take the junker off your hands for $500 just to rid you of the problem.

Uh-oh.

I guess I've ruined it.

Darn.

Look, I've been using ArmorAll for quite some time now and think it is a fine product. A little greasy but other then that it is good. I was just asking because I was curious if anyone knew what Chrysler's beef was specifically toward ArmorAll.

I'm sure other products work well, I actually use ArmorAll Leather Conditioner and it gets the dirt and grime out of there just fine. Again I was just curious why Chrysler is being so specific about not using certain types of products on their leather.

After my ArmorAll stash runs out I plan on trying some 303 for the dash, trim, and possibly the tires I hear it gives it a nice flat black look instead of the shiny/greasy look that the ArmorAll does. As far as the leather is concerned. I've yet to find a solid cleaning method and with the leather being coated anyway it doesn't seem to matter. Scrubbing with warm water then spraying a coat of ArmorAll Leather Cleaner will probably continue to be my regime since it is cheap and hasn't shown adverse effects.

Last edited:
I just found moparproshop.com and started looking at their products. A lot of the Mopar Cleaners say "Formulated by Meguiar's" and have the Meguiar's logo on the bottle in addition to the Mopar logo. So I looked at the Mopar Total Clean, no such wording or logo. However I went to Meguiar's site and started looking through their leather products that matched the description of the Mopar Total Clean and I think we found a winner. Notice how the interior shown on the Meg's product is a Chryler?

4897840AA.jpg

p84729z.jpg

Links:
Mopar Total Clean

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Uh-oh.

I guess I've ruined it.

Darn.

Hey Spazdog - sorry to hear that you ruined your PT Cruiser.
frown.gif
I'll take the junker off your hands for $500 just to rid you of the problem.

crackmeup2.gif

Nope. I used non-OE approved Lexol products on my Chrysler. I can't let anybody else be subjected to the damage I have done. I should be forced to keep it until it is no longer financially viable to keep.

Armor All and other protectants used to be silicone based and over time it would crack plastics. The newer formula is water based. One way to tell is to look at the color of the solution. If it's clear then it's most likely silicone based. If it's milky colored then it's probably water based.

Most leather upholstery have a polyurethane coating so what you actually touch is more plastic than hide. You can wipe your whole interior down with water and small amounts of gentle detergent such as Woolite. I wouldn't have any qualms using a protectant on plastic and vinyl surfaces. Although some are better quality than others. Look for one than has UV inhibitors. If I had leather in my car I think I would use a conditioner. Probably more for the scent than anything though since it probably wouldn't penetrate like uncoated leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back