Chromed Bore Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Rock River CAR A4 has the chromed bore/chamber. Is there any special cleaners required, or any cleaners that should be avoided? Any thing to not do, like using a brass brush etc?

SuperBusa,

No special cleaners needed except for standard bore cleaner like Hoppe's and such. Becuase you have a chromed bore it'll celan up faster than standard barrels.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
SuperBusa,

No special cleaners needed except for standard bore cleaner like Hoppe's and such. Becuase you have a chromed bore it'll celan up faster than standard barrels.

Durango

Yep, a bit easier on cleanup. The flipside is reduced accuracy. That's why you'll rarely (I hate to say "never", but I've yet to see one) see a chrome bore used by anyone serious about competition shooting. There's a noticeable falloff in accuracy. For a day to day "beater" the ease in cleanup might be worth it.

We've got 2 ARs, with 16" and 20" barrels. Both rifles will do 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Both have hardchromed barrels.

Cleaning is much easier as fouling doesn't stick nearly as well to the hardchrome as it does to steel.

BSW

Avoid anything that contains alot of ammonia - such as Sweets 7.62 Etc. ( this is good stuff for copper fouling in unplated barrels )

I'm not sure what concentration of ammonia is safe .

Butches bore shine seems to be fine for general cleaning of chrome bores , but may not be a good thing to soak a barrel for days .

Sweets 7.62 is known to cause chrome to peel in some chrome lined barrels .

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
....Sweets 7.62 Etc. ( this is good stuff for copper fouling in unplated barrels )

Amen. This stuff is great. Didn't know it roached chromed bores though.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
....Sweets 7.62 Etc. ( this is good stuff for copper fouling in unplated barrels )

Amen. This stuff is great. Didn't know it roached chromed bores though.

Me either, and that's what I usually use since it works so well. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Avoid anything that contains alot of ammonia - such as Sweets 7.62 Etc. ( this is good stuff for copper fouling in unplated barrels )
Sweets 7.62 is known to cause chrome to peel in some chrome lined barrels .

Never heard any of that before. The chrome used in barrel lining is hard chrome, which has no copper plating beneath.

About the only way it should harm the chrome is if the plating job is very poor.

Interesting article about cleaning solvents, corrosion, and barrel material:
http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50=&tabid=67&mid=445
If ammonia is corrosive, you'd better not use it on a gas operated gun as the solution will get up into the gas port with no easy way to get it out. You certainly don't want to leave these powerful solvents in a bore for long.

I've been using foaming bore cleaner to remove copper and it doesn't appear to contain ammonia.
http://ipl.ordertree.com/ipl/688/MSDS-963-Foaming Bore Cleaner Aerosol 07-01-07.pdf

I've seen hard chrome plating in the lab at high magnifications. I've always seen it as cracked material. It is hard material, but unfortunately it's also brittle. It wouldn't be my first choice for a barrel surface as a gun designer. What are the advantages of hard chrome?

Tempest, with what I know about hard chrome plating, it would be unconscionable to plate chromium directly onto steel. It wouldn't stick very well. I would expect first a thin layer of copper, then nickel, then a healthy deposit of chromium that is ground to the final finish. One of the first problems of improper or home plating is peeling.

Hard chrome is applied to barrels and chambers for corrosion resistance. It's not the best for this, but it's hardness stands up to bullets/pressure, is better than bare steel, and is fairly cheap. It's normally only seen on military type guns where corrosion resistance in very poor conditions really matters. Custom guns use it externally for corrosion resistance and wear protection.

I don't know the exact spec. but I've seen reference to .0002" plate thickness as typical.

I've always seen the 3 layer chrome described as "decorative" chrome, like for bumpers and things. Much thinner than most hard chrome applications. Most references I've seen to hard chrome do not have an under layer. I would think that having such soft metals below it would seriously compromise it's load bearing ability?

Guns don't have such high tolerances that they require grinding plating to fit. .0002" won't matter much on all but the most highly fitted guns...$$$$.

This link pretty much mirrors my understanding:
http://yarchive.net/gun/platings.html

Also:
Quote:
Functional chromium, or "hard chrome," metal coating is used for anti-galling and low friction characteristics as well as for corrosion protection. These coatings are usually applied without copper or nickel underlayers in thicknesses from about 0.3 to 2 mil. Hard-chrome metal plating is recommended for use in saline environments to protect ferrous components.

http://www.anatechusa.com/Metal_Coating/default.html

Kestas, some military machine guns use stellite coatings inside the chambers and bores. I assume it's more durable than chrome, but I don't know much about stellite.
As for cleaning copper from barrels, Wipeout is the best copper remover I've come across. KG-12 Big Bore cleaner is a close second. Neither contains ammonia.

Stellite is a cobalt-based alloy. It is incredibly corrosion resistant. I imagine it's just as hard as chromium and tougher than chromium, without the cracks. It is (or was) used in medical implants, where the human body is tougher on materials than a salty ocean.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Breakfree CLP....good enough for the military M16's, good enough for my AR15. And you can buy it buy the gallon.

Right, because the military never makes any bad decisions?

The M16 itself was one of them.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The M16 itself was one of them.

smirk2.gif
As opposed to?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
The initial problems with the M16 were the choice in propellants in the ammunition. The powedr was not burning cleanly and clogging up the gas system.

That's only ONE of the problems. The mechanical design of the gun is just [censored]. The ammo wouldn't have even been an issue on a gun with a gas piston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back