KROIL For Cleaning Firearms?

My Kroil is too valuable to use on guns - I need it for rusty/stuck fasteners. Lots of good gun solvents out there, including AMSOIL Gun Cleaner, a nice all in one. HPL Gun cleaner, another all in one. Butch’s Bore Shine is a good solvent for deep cleaning. And, of course, Hoppe’s no. 9, which smells like my childhood, when my uncle and cousins would clean their deer rifles.
This has been my go-to firearms cleaner for years.
My grandfather would mix kerosene and transmission fluid as a firearms cleaner.

Well , since the original post was about KROIL , and what we thought about him using it to clean a Mosin barrel , I'll say go for it .
Clean the M91-30 with Windex down the barrel if using that old corrosive cartridges to neutralize. Heard of people urinating down Mauser barrels til they got time to field strip and clean. I keep Hoppes 9 and Breakfree CLP JIC. That cosmoline they coat on those surplus I try to break down with Simple Green. It's messy

Well , since the original post was about KROIL , and what we thought about him using it to clean a Mosin barrel , I'll say go for it .
I haven't got around to it.........yet, but it's coming.
I own (3) 91/30's. My son has one of them and is bringing it back on his next visit. That's the one I might use the Kroil on.

Kroil is one of the 'penetrating' oils before penetrating oils were sold in chemical companies product lines; I could see how it could creep around & under stuck on crud and help lift it for cleaning purposes; I am thinking of getting some to remove stubborn copper deposits inside a hunting rifle barrel...

Great cleaner for the barrel. Just need to let it sit in the barrel for about 15 minutes. It is not a lube. Use other products for that.

Yes it penetrates.......
It most certainly does. Be very careful using that stuff on wood stocked weapons, and wood grip pistols and revolvers. I know at least 2 guys who had their stocks badly stained from that stuff creeping into the wood at the contact points at both the forearm and receiver.

It darkens the wood something awful, and softens it as well. This can cause issues with bedding in a heavy recoiling Magnum rifle. Today there are excellent bore cleaners designed for weapons, like Bore Tech Eliminator, that work beautifully.... And with no risk.

There is really no need for homemade, "witches brew" cleaners on firearms anymore.

It most certainly does. Be very careful using that stuff on wood stocked weapons, and wood grip pistols and revolvers. I know at least 2 guys who had their stocks badly stained from that stuff creeping into the wood at the contact points at both the forearm and receiver.

It darkens the wood something awful, and softens it as well. This can cause issues with bedding in a heavy recoiling Magnum rifle. Today there are excellent bore cleaners designed for weapons, like Bore Tech Eliminator, that work beautifully.... And with no risk.

There is really no need for homemade, "witches brew" cleaners on firearms anymore.
Good cautions for sure.

Wood grip pistols, revolvers - I simply remove the grips for any deep clean. Anything with wood coming near my cleaning bench frankly never gets anything harsh.

Not a "witches brew" mind you. Just another product. I'm thinking about getting a 4 ounce bottle of this stuff for bolt lugs, and slides on auto pistols.

I've used engine assembly lube in the past with good success on these high wear areas on firearms. HPL's reputation is all but second to none. So I'm going to have a go at it.

Not a "witches brew" mind you. Just another product. I'm thinking about getting a 4 ounce bottle of this stuff for bolt lugs, and slides on auto pistols.

I've used engine assembly lube in the past with good success on these high wear areas on firearms. HPL's reputation is all but second to none. So I'm going to have a go at it.

The HPL has worked well on my 1911s and S&W 3rd Gens. I recommend it.

HPL’s owner is a firearms enthusiast - so I reckon their gun oil will work well, period.

Last edited:
Received a free bottle of this a couple of years ago. Seemed like good people when I called about getting a free bottle to try. They had no problem sending one out. Works as intended but what I got was a CLP oil. Used the entire bottle and kind of forgot about. Went to the website and what they have now just seems to be an oil and not a CLP type product. Would consider buying more if it is a CLP.

Back