Christmas morning. How times have changed ...

Bikes in the middle of winter? Ice skates maybe.
Sure! We used to go out on the snow packed residential streets when I lived in MT and have brake skid length competitions (I used my BMX bike). Part of the challenge was gaining enough speed to begin with and to not wipe out at anytime, too! I had to bike to work across the small town on a 10 speed, as well, with ice rutted and snow packed roads (uphill, both ways ;) 😜).

I saw I presume a father and daughter out trying out her new bike. Young kid maybe 8ish, now granted I was outside starting the smoker in my gym shorts and t-shirt sleeping attire, said "Merry Christmas". I got some side eye from the man and a Merry Christmas in response though. I wasn't cousin Eddie for god sakes! :ROFLMAO:

Noticed the last few years no kids out playing with their new Christmas gifts, back in the day all the neighbor kids would be out with their new bikes, skates, roller blades. Motorized cars and trucks would be going up and down the street, little girls would be out with their dolls and little strollers, kids throwing balls with their new bats and mitts, just went out and not one kid out playing. :(
..... and many of the parents could be seen walking down the street - either on Christmas Eve evening or Christmas morning, going to their neighborhood worship place.
There are about 22 houses on each side of our block. Maybe two(2) homes on our block, go to pray at chime-ringing places these days.

When I grew up in late 50s thru the mid-60s, maybe 3-4 didn't go.

Check the demographics of your community. There may be way fewer kids around.
We saw kids on new bicycles and more than the average number of families out walking. It was a 40*F Christmas Day.
I said to my wife least year, where are all the kids? She said married and moved out, dummy!
It was then I realised I have been in this same house and neighborhood for 33 years

I saw I presume a father and daughter out trying out her new bike. Young kid maybe 8ish, now granted I was outside starting the smoker in my gym shorts and t-shirt sleeping attire, said "Merry Christmas". I got some side eye from the man and a Merry Christmas in response though. I wasn't cousin Eddie for god sakes! :ROFLMAO:
You might not be cousin Eddie but it sounds like you were wearing his clothes…
1703698628742.jpg

I think the last time I played with a Christmas gift outside it was 2012 when I got a new catchers mitt for Christmas. And it was like 60 degrees outside Christmas Day but it was a very short play because we had to go to family members houses later that day. This year it was 50 degrees and I didn’t have anything to play outside with because I couldn’t use my new tools as I didn’t have a car to fix and was on limited time due to going to family’s house.

Our grandchilren were outside riding new bikes, scooters and playing with new basketballs and soccer balls. One did get a Nintendo Switch but didn't play with it on Christmas: put that aside for later.

Back