Chraftsman, USA vs. China

Now we need to see what year of production AAD is. ;)
2018 I believe for the A-AG. Not much info on the China Craftsman codes. If I remember correctly A is China, L is Taiwan for the Sears Craftsman. The 15mm China wrench in the first picture is A-AD and some of the set was A-AC so I think it is 2013-14 since I got the set in 2014.

Last edited:
They are not as good as they used to be, that's for sure. I have looked over the new ones at Lowe's and am not a fan. Some of the old tools were made by Wright tool and were of very good quality, but no more. It's like everything else today, it's just a name, similar to Pittsburg Pro, and many others.
I will say that I recently broke a 1/2" breaker bar that was several decades old, and it was replaced, no questions asked. The girl at Lowe's told me that as long as they stock it, your tool is replaceable, and if they don't you still might be able to deal with Lowe's online to get it replaced, but she wasn't sure. I'll stick with HF if I decided to buy Chinese tools.

They are not as good as they used to be, that's for sure. I have looked over the new ones at Lowe's and am not a fan. Some of the old tools were made by Wright tool and were of very good quality, but no more. It's like everything else today, it's just a name, similar to Pittsburg Pro, and many others.
I will say that I recently broke a 1/2" breaker bar that was several decades old, and it was replaced, no questions asked. The girl at Lowe's told me that as long as they stock it, your tool is replaceable, and if they don't you still might be able to deal with Lowe's online to get it replaced, but she wasn't sure. I'll stick with HF if I decided to buy Chinese tools.
At least you got it warrantied at Lowe’s my Lowe’s neither one will warranty stuff. I went thru Craftsman directly for mine. Luckily when you do that you don’t have to return the old ones so I fixed them and have more tools. Just I can’t stand the new ratchets or screwdrivers nothing like the old ones for sure. The new ratchets are rough on the edges well the raised panel ones. The Gunmetal chrome are really nice but they are sealed and no longer rebuildable.

View attachment 40751
This was a warranty replacement directly from Craftsman it’s Taiwan made. They don’t require you to send the old one back. Currently I’ve got more tools coming to me too a screwdriver and two ratchets since I broke those as well. They still honor warranty I like going directly through them so I don’t have to turn in the old ones. The socket this one replaced was a series V with the knurling at the top I cracked on the Beetle. However the raised panel wrenches I will not warranty because they are made in India now which is worse than China. They gave me no hassle on this and had it in the mail immediately. With that they brought back a customer I will buy if it’s Taiwan and USA mainly.
The CMMT is supposed to be the latest owner which is Black and Decker. The were claiming to make a facility to manufacture in the USA, and maybe they did or will. Taiwan is a lot better than PRC in my book. That’s good customer service.
I guess this was all covered already, didn’t read more of it till now.

The CMMT is supposed to be the latest owner which is Black and Decker. The were claiming to make a facility to manufacture in the USA, and maybe they did or will. Taiwan is a lot better than PRC in my book. That’s good customer service.
Yes it is. They are building a factory in Texas to make their tools there and Virginia where I live also according to the website. They were going to have it open by the end of 2020 but everything going on put a delay on that so now they are saying end of 2021 so hopefully that will be right. They are currently making a few things in the US like the tape measures and lawn equipment.

At least you got it warrantied at Lowe’s my Lowe’s neither one will warranty stuff. I went thru Craftsman directly for mine. Luckily when you do that you don’t have to return the old ones so I fixed them and have more tools. Just I can’t stand the new ratchets or screwdrivers nothing like the old ones for sure. The new ratchets are rough on the edges well the raised panel ones. The Gunmetal chrome are really nice but they are sealed and no longer rebuildable.
You rebuild these ratchets? IMO it is worth disassembling and lubing but full rebuild isn't worth the time/effort given the relatively low price of a new mid level ratchet. $25-30 for a new one vs $xxx for the parts and xxx time to rebuild...I'm buying new! With a more spendy model this decision could change...

You rebuild these ratchets? IMO it is worth disassembling and lubing but full rebuild isn't worth the time/effort given the relatively low price of a new mid level ratchet. $25-30 for a new one vs $xxx for the parts and xxx time to rebuild...I'm buying new! With a more spendy model this decision could change...
Yep I rebuild when I can just hard to find internals for these nowadays. Also grease them up nicely too. But hey they replaced it free didn’t turn the old one in two new ratchets and a new screwdriver and the new sockets last time too. I couldn’t be happier.

Rather than turn in my broken geared Craftsman 1/2” ratchet (Forged USA Made) I opted for a $21 rebuild kit online. Only thing bad about the kit is the plastic reverse lever I read.

Rather than turn in my broken geared Craftsman 1/2” ratchet (Forged USA Made) I opted for a $21 rebuild kit online. Only thing bad about the kit is the plastic reverse lever I read.
I’d just email they will send you one and don’t require the old one back. Heck free is free you paid for the warranty when you bought it anyway. I have to email or call because Lowe’s or Ace won’t warranty them for me so I don’t even have to worry about turning them in.

The Chinese Craftsman tools have been better than they were early on.
the sockets I say are actually better than the late Made In USA ones on the chroming.
The USA craftsman socket were bad and they would often split at the thin sidewall.
The early raised panel wrenches of the Chinese tools were very bad. Some also had the lobster claw ends.

Got an email back from Craftsman and found out they don’t make the 3/8 raised panel ratchet number 44811 anymore so they are sending me 44808 which is apparently like 2 inches longer. I was hoping they’d send a gunmetal one lol. At least they still make the screwdriver and 1/2 ratchet.

You could probably buy some lightly used USA Craftsman or new old stock USA Craftsman for about the price of one Snap On ratchet and 5 sockets.
Agreed. I have found lots of NOS Craftsman at Ace Hardware recently. I like Snap-on but that stuff is expensive and Craftsman and many other brands have worked fine for me.

Really, I will have to stop by my local ACE hardware and see if they have any.
Yes, sockets and screwdrivers mostly. All the sockets have been G2D codes if that is ones you are looking for. Also Ollies I have found pliers and extensions at. The stuff is still out there just have to find it. I’ve managed to find a lot of new ones at the pawn shop too still with the hangers on them.

4FBF6532-CAB5-4976-9CA5-D93D13FA154A.jpeg

Here are two impacts side by side one China one USA the USA is GK for the date code. Two different sizes but that doesn’t matter. The USA feels much more quality and appears to be made of better material also appears to be pretty thick too which could be bad or good. When I looked at the impact sockets today at Lowe’s I was pretty disappointed in those they are made in China still and just the quality isn’t there. Hopefully they will get them back to at least Taiwan soon.

Quality sucked when made in the USA, probably not any better now. I had more issues with my Craftsman tools then any other I've tried over the years fwiw...
I do have four of their cabinets and like them though, but 2 are same big size, and 2 are the same small size models they are different even among same sizes (locks at different hieghts, different hinges, feet, etc...)

Quality sucked when made in the USA, probably not any better now. I had more issues with my Craftsman tools then any other I've tried over the years fwiw...
I do have four of their cabinets and like them though, but 2 are same big size, and 2 are the same small size models they are different even among same sizes (locks at different hieghts, different hinges, feet, etc...)
That’s not a good experience. Do you have any of their Canadian made stuff? I’ve heard it was pretty good. I haven’t had bad luck with the USA stuff it’s actually one of my go to brands.

Yep. Quality was long gone before going to China. I used to love having the little 1/4” drive sets that came in their own case. The last ones I bought about 2007 came with the lovely auto reversing ratchets. Their pear head ratchets they put in all the sets have sucked for a while but these were horrible.

Back