Chook soup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned out pretty good.

Got 2lb of chicken frames (only because I feed them to my dog and noticed that the team cutting off the saleable chunks were getting lazy, and leave a heap of meat around the thighs and breast section).

Placed in a stock pot with enough filtered (brita) water to cover, and brought to a strong boil. skimmed the muck off, and added a half cup of malt vinegar (to get some minerals out of the bones)...boiled (slow) for 3-1/2 hours, defatted, and sieved.

Brought back to a strong boil, and added:
* one brown onion very finely sliced;
* 6 cloves garlic, very finely chopped;
* 1 medium carrot, sliced lengthwise, and finely chopped;
* 3/4 cup of broccoli, finely choopped;
* 2 stick celery (finely chopped if you didn't get it before);
* 2 sides of a red capsicum, and 2 sides of a green (finely chopped);
* decent handful of green beans, finely chooped;
* 1 tablespoon of very fresh ginger, chopped to a pulp; and
* 2 tablespoons of spring onions (needed more, but didn't have).

Brought to the boil, then dropped back to a simmer again. Added 1/4 cup low salt soy sauce, 1/4 cup dry sherry (out of chinese cooking wine).

Made some dumplings:
* 5 king prawns (threw the tails back into the stock - easily fished out later). Chopped the prawns to minced status;
* 400grammes of lean chicken mince;
* 2 tablespoons chopped spring onions;
* 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander (cilantro???) stalks.

Formed into balls, and wrapped in wonton wrappers (I'll leave them out next time).

Soup sampled, and a teaspoon of Celtic sea salt added to taste (why I use low salt soy, to get it where we like it).

Brought back to a strong boils, and a good handful of chopped coriander leaves added, followed by the dumplings.

When it returned to the boil, left at a light simmer for 10 minutes and served.

Pretty good.

Except I FORGOT THE FREAKIN' LEMONGRASS (and it should have had chilli, but I don't use that these days).

Sounds good! Cilantro is simply coriander leaves. I guess the stalks are also called cilantro? I like coriander as bread spice and love cilantro in soups, stews and sauces.

I'm going to make clarified stock and aspic this weekend (After taking out the trash in Dodge City and Empire).

Last edited:
I did a nice beef stock last weekend (36 hours in the crock-pot, with a half cup apple cider vinegar)...set like a charm.

edit...aspic leaves me cold.

Aspic, Bavarian style, makes for a light and cooling lunch or dinner on a hot summer day. I love that stuff.

Each their own...least you don't have to buy glucosamine tablets and stuff.

I'm vowing for more stocks and soups this winter

Then check out the Fit Kitchen guys coming to a supermarket near you. Most shops have it in Canberra and my corner shop gets their stuff next week. Why go to all the trouble making your own when amazing stuff like this is available 'to go' The Organic Lamb Tangine with Moghrabieh and Chickpeas is the best yet but only tried a few. Best lunch product available IMO.

Check Fit Kitchen ingredients, it don't get much better than that IMO. No nasties. The good Pitango folks from NZ also have great product particularly the organic Moroccan Chicken soup with Chickpeas and Cumin is really something and well worth looking for IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back