Choice of Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really torn... but, since the wife will have the utility vehicle, i'm looking at getting a "fun" car.

Here's what I have narrowed it down to.

S2000

and 350Z

Now, I am going to be modifying the S2000/350Z with a blower of some kind (most likely super due to less heat induction), but I'm not sure which one I want. They're similar in price ranges, the s2000 tuned properly will put out 340 RWHP, and the 350Z with everything I want to do to it will put about 415 RWHP. There is quite a bit of weight difference, so the speeds will be similar, yet, I'm still torn lol. Anyone have any other information they can hand me about either of these vehicles to sway me in one direction?

The S2000 looks better, IMHO.
If I recall, the 350Z has a better power distribution. To make the most of your S2000, you really have to whip into it and get into the high-end. On the 350Z, you just need to mash the pedal and it'll run like you'd just robbed a bank.

They are both excellent cars, but very different in character. If you drive both, you shouldn't have any trouble deciding which one is right for you.

Whichever you choose, you will have a good car.

That choice would be easy for me to make. I greatly prefer a light vehicle that handles like a race car and of the two vehicles that you mentioned only one fits that bill - the S2000.

The 350Z seems much more like a Gran Tourismo car which in true fashion is a 'sporty' car that is geared more towards highway use. Fast, heavy, powerful, with stable handling and chassis and braking performance to match its engine. The Porsche 928S4 comes to mind here and wears the heavyweight title.

The S-2000 on the other hand is cat quick and able to dart with grace. A small, high reving four cylinder engine fits under the long hood which was stretch to allow the engine to be placed behind the front axle for perfect weight distribution. It is the lightweight that floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee.

Personally I wouldn't even consider the Nissan and I'd place my money on the soon to arrive Lotus Elise. The S-2000 runs a very close second to the Lotus for my driving tastes.

I think FowVay's breakdown of the Z being more like a Gran Tourismo car is pretty much spot on.

Since I've not driven either of those cars I can only go by what I've read (and like probably everyone here most of what I read is auto related) and people I've spoken with who own the cars. Having said that, the Z would be my clear choice. The S2000 is underpowered and what power it has is way up in the rpm range so it takes a lot of attention and shifting to keep it moving fast. I think the Z has a much broader power band and if you get the track version you'll get stopping and suspension that rivals anything else you can drive off a showroom floor.

Yes the Z is heavier but IMO, that doesn't have to be a bad thing (to a point).

XS650 nailed it though......drive both and you should immediately know which you prefer. They are that different. Be sure to let us know what you get!

(lucky stiff!
cheers.gif
)

smile.gif
, thanks for your opinions, but, I tried to go drive them, and they didn't think I was "serious" I'm guessing because of my age.. lol. They said to bring my car back and my wife and talk numbers before they'd let me drive it =P

Well, I went to drive them today with my wife, and well, I was not terribly impressed with the S2000. You have to get up to 5 grand before the thing starts to even move. I love the suspension and responsiveness of ride though. But, I just cannot imagine keeping it above 5k every day to make it move like my Accord does at 2-3k. But, I loved the 350z, and I also saw a G35. Anyone know of any comparisons off the bat of the G35 and the 350z? I know there are slight differences, but they use the same engine etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back