Choice of Grease For Suspension Linkage

CCI

In this case, a Suzuki DR-Z 400. I'd be a lot happier with the design if the manufacturer supplied grease fittings on the rear suspension linkage, at least the swingarm bearings, but I suppose they have their reasons. And that leaves us with complete annual disassembly for inspection and lubrication, which the manufacturer recommends at a 7,500 mile interval.

I have not found any way to determine what type of grease the factory used at initial assembly so chemical compatibility is somewhat of a concern, probably not enough so for me to pull all of the seals and wash out all of the needle/roller bearings, that seems like an opportunity to do more harm than good.

This is an older low-miles very lightly used bike (2004, just under 7K miles, no visible wear associated with hard riding except it looks like it was dropped once necessitating handlebar replacement and a light bash from the brake pedal on the right case) otherwise the bike looks essentially unused and undamaged. It appears to have had two or three sets of tires at the most (came with a partially worn out set of spares, the ones I removed from the rims this week had a 2007 date code) so the bike probably has the original factory grease on the suspension linkage if any at all.

Chevron makes a 5% Moly that holds on heavy equipment linkage like nothing I've ever seen. This grease will take a pounding. It is almost impossible to wash off even if you are trying to, and the ability to hold up to shock loads is noticeable, even on track mounted hydraulic hammer linkage.

I can't back this up with anything except a few years of greasing heavy equipment but it seems like this might be a good choice for dual-sport motorcycle shafts and bearings as well, the load isn't that different from the pins and bushings on excavating equipment.

Thoughts?

I use moly grease in suspension linkage bearings, swingarm bearings and wheel bearings:
1609345642541.png

I'd be surprised if the factory grease were anything other than a lithium type grease, but you should check the service manual if you're not going to be cleaning out the bearings first. Certain types of greases shouldn't be mixed together.
That Chevron grease sounds perfect if it's compatible. Anything very tacky is good for chassis, not so much for wheels.

P.S. There's a grease subforum on this board that will probably give you more information than you ever wanted to know.

Kawasaki recomends a Moly Grease for the needle bearings of the swingarm in their workshop manuals, if this helps.
The Moly grease used for CV joints would therefore be my choice.

i have used the following (in 21years of offroad racing):
Mobil 1 synthetic grease (its red)
Amsoil series 2000 racing grease (its white)
BelRay waterproof grease (its greenish blue)

i have used them both alone and mixed together

my favorite combo currently is
90% Mobil 1 and 10% permatex anti-sieze (the silver goop) mixed into a red/silver blend
for all steering bearings (ie triple clamp), swing arm pivots, linkages and even the chain roller

when you do offroad you need something that will last and not lockup after being drug through the mud or a creek

Working in the aircraft industry, I had a ready supply of Mobil 28 grease. It's a PAO based grease with a clay thickener, and is rather thin for a grease. It's good for dirt bikes suspension linkages and swingarm needle bearings. As it's reluctant to wash out, thin enough to keep parts coated and won't cake up. I've tried many different greases on my dirt bikes, Mobil 28 was always the best.

I do like Mobil SHC-100 too, but the 28 was better on dirt bike linkages.

Ive never re greased any bike swingarm or linkage every 7500/mi. If grease leaks out you'll see it and know you need a new seal/service. Otherwise sealed in uncontaminated bearing grease wont really wear out in 7500 miles. I usually re grease things like that when servicing shocks/wheel bearings.

I use Mil Spec WTR Wide Temp Range synthetic grease good enough for
the space shuttle... I got my supply while serving in the USAF... get
yours on ebay... $25.00 is cheap because the Gov paid a hell of lot more...

WTRgrease1.JPG

The WTR grease is Mil-PRF-81322G. Mobilgrease 28 which Cujet recommended. The spec really focuses on low temperature performance with minimal EP/AW capabilities. The Mobil product is ISO VG 32 PAO with a clay thickener.

You mentioned that the WTR was used on the space shuttle. I attached a paper on various fluids used in the space program. These are used as liquid lubricants as well as base oils for grease.

Back