Choice: Buick Encore vs. Nissan Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker of mine is thinking about buying a new small SUV. Currently she has a 3- or 4-year-old Nissan Rogue, and likes it fine. I suggested she look at the modern Buicks, and while the Enclave, the big one, is way out of her preferred price range, the Encore is, as she put it, "impressive on price." She's considering taking one for a test drive.

Info: She's a college professor, married, kids are grown and gone, not a long commute, no pets to lug around; so I'm not sure why she needs, or wants, even a small SUV in the first place. Maybe she likes the high seating arrangement.

Anybody driven or owned both of these? If not, which one do you have and why do you like/love/hate it? Any things to look out for on the Encore, or the recent Rogue?

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Maybe she likes the high seating arrangement.

That's the primary reason I drive one every day. I may never own a sedan again...they're THAT much more uncomfortable to me (sedans).

Is she in a lease? I would think the rogue would be fine for a few more years. Is she worried about warranty?

FYE I read in C&D Nissan/Renault is making the Mercedes engines for MB in Tn. I think a 2.X L turbo?

Warranty is a consideration, yes. I don't know if her husband likes to wrench on cars; she doesn't -- so naturally they'd like to be covered as much as possible.

The current Rogue isn't a lease. Like most of us here, she (economics prof) thinks it's a good deal for hardly anyone.

The Buick has more cachet, like a poor mans Lexus these days. Nissans are more like shopping at Walmart.

I have driven the Sonic with the same 1.4 turbo four and 6A transmission. Very nice, although I prefer manuals.

I think the Rouge only comes with rubber band tranny.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

That's the primary reason I drive one every day.

I can certainly understand this POV. For me personally though, the penalty you pay for it by having high center of gravity and poor cornering/handling is just too much, and is probably why I will stick sedans.

As I was looking a little over a year ago, the Encore looked underpowered at ~150hp. I do believe it is lowest in class.

I'd go with the Rogue. Better power, and you probably don't lose anything in MPG.

Of course, in that class, I'm partial to our CX-5. Great car.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
As I was looking a little over a year ago, the Encore looked underpowered at ~150hp. I do believe it is lowest in class.

I'd go with the Rogue. Better power, and you probably don't lose anything in MPG.

Of course, in that class, I'm partial to our CX-5. Great car.

Yes, I think the Rogue is 138 or 140. Websites I've seen vary a little on that. Even my '97 C-Class had 148. But it was normally aspirated; the Encore has a turbo.

I think the Encore is intended for people who want a little luxury with their SUV, and who will do a lot of city driving, i.e., traffic and short trips to the grocery and the coffee shop. . . .

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I can certainly understand this POV. For me personally though, the penalty you pay for it by having high center of gravity and poor cornering/handling is just too much, and is probably why I will stick sedans.

+1

The rogue is powerful at 170 HP. Altima engine.
Mine only gets 23 combined which is terrible - but its a great driving and riding car. Very Refined ride handling. Not many that good. The last of the real Japanese Nissans. I call it my Mini Cayenne - Its that good dynamically. The CVT is a sore spot but manageable.

The new 2015 rogues sold near me inn NH are made in Korea.

I saw my first Encore the other day and was shocked at how tiny it was. Looked nearly Mini Cooper size.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Mine only gets 23 combined which is terrible - but its a great driving and riding car. Very Refined ride handling. Not many that good. The last of the real Japanese Nissans. I call it my Mini Cayenne - Its that good dynamically. The CVT is a sore spot but manageable.

The Buick Encore is made in Korea, too. So I guess that's a toss-up...

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

She might be able to grab a 2014 Rogue, or a 2013 CPO.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1

I suppose the high seating arrangement is nice, but a couple other drawbacks of SUV's is that they typically have longer stopping distances than sedans as they typically weigh more also. And gas mileage is worse also.

With that said, if I preferred SUV's, I'd either get a Mercedes GLK 350 or ML 350 that's 3-4 years old and still qualifies for Mercedes extended warranty. New, they had a 4 year 50k warranty so anything under that would qualify for their extended warranty. Probably about the same price as a new SUV by a different brand, but their extended warranty takes you to 7/70 or as high as 7/125k.

Mazda CX-3 is worth a look, also the Honda HRV - assuming those cars are available there. The Buick appears to be a version of our Holden Trax? If so, it's in nowhere near the same class as the Honda or Mazda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back