Chipper tecumseh engine won't start

Hi I'm new to the forum hopefully I'm posting in the right place .i was given a patrior chipper shredder with a tecumseh engine .My problem is that I can get it to start i clean carb and nothing .Also the cord is very hard to pull suspected hydrolock but check the valve head and is clean any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. "Lawn Mower and Small Engine" would be the appropriate place to post. I'm sure you'll get great responses there.

might need to open it up. maybe valve issue. Did those have a timing key?

Check the fuel lines as they can get dirt on them. Second have you checked the carburetor jets? Years ago I had a mower that had the jets with build up and it would start and then run like it had no power. My current mower was acting like this. The repair guy said that alot of carburetors have a pair of jets and that many only clean one not realizing this. Just a thought.

I had a chipper with an 8 horse tecumseh engine, on starting you are not just pulling the engine over , the whole chipping part turns over as well meaning the hammers and flails. which is very heavy ,mine also had a safety shut off if the discharge chute was opened the engine would shut off you may have an issue like that ?

You need to first determine if its an ignition, fuel problem or mechanical. Does it have spark? Will it try to start with starting fluid? Is the plug wet with fuel? Is the flywheel key sheared and throwing off the timing?

More than likely the carb needs rebuilt. I recently rebuilt the carb on my cousin’s chipper with the Tecumseh H60 or HH60 engine. First thing is give it a shot of starting fluid into the carb. If it starts or at least coughs, usually a fuel problem. But just like Hemitom mentioned, you’re also pulling the weight of the entire chipper assembly to get it started, not just the engine itself.

L8R,
Matt

+1 on them being hard to pull over even when in good working order, those chipper flywheels are heavy.

I'd dribble a little bit of fuel down the carburetor and pull it over to see if it runs for a few seconds. Tecumseh carburetors are sometimes a pain to clean. I've cleaned them a few times and still had issues with them starting, some may argue it was their downfall since ethanol made carb issues more common. A cheap replacement carb on Amazon might be the ticket if it runs for a few seconds with gas dribbled into the carburetor.

Thank you all for the reply things the i have done i rebuild carb check valve for proper gap check ignition coil with ohm Metter and I get 0.207 at the primary and nothing at the signal tab or secondary but funny before doing all of this i check for compression and is good check for spark and it had spark check for gas delivery that check ok,and yesterday I took flywheel of and key was sheared so there goes my timing, so I order some key and new ignition coil ,while im waiting for parts to come in is there anything else that should be checking or missed thank you all .

Thank you all for the reply things the i have done i rebuild carb check valve for proper gap check ignition coil with ohm Metter and I get 0.207 at the primary and nothing at the signal tab or secondary but funny before doing all of this i check for compression and is good check for spark and it had spark check for gas delivery that check ok,and yesterday I took flywheel of and key was sheared so there goes my timing, so I order some key and new ignition coil ,while im waiting for parts to come in is there anything else that should be checking or missed thank you all .
you really need to torque down the bolt at the shaft to make sure it does not move or it will shear the key right away. i figured that out when i had a chipper and only hand torqued it. after i banged the bolt on with my impact no more sheared keys

You found the problem. Sheared flywheel keys are VERY common on chippers.
The ignition can't be checked with an ohm meter. Tecumseh ignitions almost never fail (except for the CD ignitions on cast iron engines). I kept them in-stock but I don't remember ever replacing one. You didn't need to purchase an ignition coil. You should have purchased several flywheel keys instead.

you really need to torque down the bolt at the shaft to make sure it does not move or it will shear the key right away. i figured that out when i had a chipper and only hand torqued it. after i banged the bolt on with my impact no more sheared keys
Bad idea! The flywheel nut needs to be tightened with a torque wrench (about 40 ft/lb on most models). Using an impact wrench can crack the flywheel. You don't want to have to replace a flywheel. They are VERY expensive if you can find one.

Rhe Tecumseh Service Manual shows 600-660 inch pounds of torque for the flywheel nut, which is 50-55 ft lbs.

L8R,
Matt
971F53AA-9DE8-4E86-9384-76DF973AAF1C.jpeg

Back