Chinese Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just now watching all the Chinese Rioting over trying to purchase iphones.

Amazing all that while only earning slave wages.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: bepperb
The entire country doesn't earn slave wages.

Thats obvious.

Your post would imply that you think the people rioting to get an iphone are the same people who make slave wages.

Obviously the human rights issues in China are significant, but at the same time it's nice to see an American company exporting a profit... or at least an international company making something in China, selling it in China, and sending the profits back here.

I find it interesting how they have the same issues we have here in the USA, just a more communist government and 10x the population.

The cost of Housing, Food, Education, and Transportation costs have skyrocketed over the past 30 years.

And although Technology has become more widespread and much cheaper, that won't protect you from the weather or put food on your table.

In effect Technology has become a drug to distract the middle class from what is going on in front of their face.

We live in interesting times.

iPhone cost more over there because it is not subsidized by the carrier and most people have to go out of the way to get it (smuggle in from Hong Kong), I'd say about $700-800 US each. It is a status symbol, and a lot of the people waiting in line are buying them to flip, not using the phones themselves.

So you have people waiting in line for days in -8C and suddenly they are not selling because they recognized the crowds are just flippers, so the flippers were [censored].

p.s. most products are cheaper in the US than in China, other than the stuff that is so low quality they wouldn't import into the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
The entire country doesn't earn slave wages.

Thats obvious.

Your post would imply that you think the people rioting to get an iphone are the same people who make slave wages.

Obviously the human rights issues in China are significant, but at the same time it's nice to see an American company exporting a profit... or at least an international company making something in China, selling it in China, and sending the profits back here.

Yes agreed, Apple is making a ton of money selling cheap made in China products at an inflated retail price.

Just a few days ago another Foxconn worker was attempting suicide!

Not all Chinese workers make SLAVE wages, just 99.5% of them.

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Just a few days ago another Foxconn worker was attempting suicide!

Not all Chinese workers make SLAVE wages, just 99.5% of them.

I thought that was the Wushan factory. In China the wages are not "slave" wages, so you can get off that wagon now we already had six threads on that. Thing is garment workers are paid less than electronics workers, so China doesn't have as many garment jobs as they thought they would. Those jobs went to third world countries. Heck, my LL Bean Polartec vest is made in Jordan, my pants are made in Nicaragua, outer and inner shirts are made in Vietnam. Underwear is made in Samoa.

Has anyone posted the pics of the people in line and the Apple store in China? Poor my foot.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
iPhone cost more over there because it is not subsidized by the carrier and most people have to go out of the way to get it (smuggle in from Hong Kong), I'd say about $700-800 US each.

I actually don't know about the actual price, but IBD says the Apple Store unlocked phones are as you say, more desired. That said IBD is reporting the China Unicom sells the iPhone 4S to citizens for "heavily subsidized prices".

... but at the same time it's nice to see an American company exporting a profit... or at least an international company making something in China, selling it in China, and sending the profits back here.

I thought Apple was still a publicly traded company sending profits to shareholders all over the world?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

Check this show out if you want a "been there" account of the conditions.

I finally had time in one spot to listen to the whole thing. It'd be easy to say the whole thing will come crashing down if you listen just to Mr. Daisey, but really the last 10-15 minutes put the whole thing in better perspective. Interesting the overall suicide rate in China. I will say the workers need better protections. Ironic really, from workers paradise.

Here's a little scoop. The guards at the factories don't have live rounds in their guns. Most factories don't have armed guards anyway. I've even seen the cafeteria he mentions. For him to say it holds 10K people - I knew he was fluffing his story. But that said, the privileged Engineers, we ate in a different area, much, much smaller. This guy never saw that.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/454/mr-daisey-and-the-apple-factory

I have more "been there" visits than 3rd or 4th hand student journalism. Heck I've even post about it a few months ago:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post2306764

The point is, it is not a horrible living condition compare to where these workers come from. No, it is not the US standard where employees are treated like a customer, but it is not plowing the field and squat on 2 planks of wood above the feces pool. It is still China, and still Chinese minimum wages, and still wouldn't be enough to buy you a house, 2 cars, and send your children to college, but it is better than starvation or plowing fields.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I finally had time in one spot to listen to the whole thing. It'd be easy to say the whole thing will come crashing down if you listen just to Mr. Daisey, but really the last 10-15 minutes put the whole thing in better perspective. Interesting the overall suicide rate in China. I will say the workers need better protections. Ironic really, from workers paradise.

Here's a little scoop. The guards at the factories don't have live rounds in their guns. Most factories don't have armed guards anyway. I've even seen the cafeteria he mentions. For him to say it holds 10K people - I knew he was fluffing his story. But that said, the privileged Engineers, we ate in a different area, much, much smaller. This guy never saw that.

Thanks for listening to that Paul. I thought it was a well done piece (from a storytelling perspective)

A particular telling portion was that a solution to prevent worker suicides was to install nets so they couldn't jump from the roof. No real insight into the human condition in the way "problems" are resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back