Chinese digital calipers and battery life

I have had the Harbor Freight 8" digital calipers for probably 10 years now and for as long as I've owned them, it has always seemed like it ate batteries. Doesn't matter if it's LR44 or 357 Silver Oxides.. it eats them up. I'm always very sure to turn OFF the device and then to lock the slider so that it can't turn on by itself while in the storage case, but this doesn't really seem to help.

Is this a known issue for all of these chinese made calipers? Or would it be worthwhile to buy a new set? (I have been eyeing the ones that can report in fractional inches)

FWIW, I have a set of genuine Japanese made Mitutoyo calipers and it has been on the same battery for years now. I know it's not a fair comparison though.

When you say "eats batteries," how often do you have to replace them exactly?

I've got a cheap 6" one that runs on LR44 cell. The original cell lasted about 2 years, although I don't use it all that often.

I have found that if I leave my calipers in the garage tool box, where the temperature reaches extremes of over 100°F on summer days, and down to high 30s to low 40s during the winter, that batteries in my calipers don't even last 6 months. but if I bring them in the house when I'm done with them in the garage, the batteries will last for years, just like the calipers I use at work.

All of my calipers are Mitutoyo, so I can't speak to how a set of HF would do in comparison.

I got a set for Christmas and they stopped working after 6 months. Even tried new batteries. So I got another set and they too stopped working. I guess I'll just pay the price for a quality set and call it a day.

When you say "eats batteries," how often do you have to replace them exactly?

I've got a cheap 6" one that runs on LR44 cell. The original cell lasted about 2 years, although I don't use it all that often.

I use them for odd jobs throughout the year and it seems like the batteries last based on time instead of usage. I have to replace them maybe 4x a year on LR44 and maybe 3x a year on 357.

I have had the Harbor Freight 8" digital calipers for probably 10 years now and for as long as I've owned them, it has always seemed like it ate batteries. Doesn't matter if it's LR44 or 357 Silver Oxides.. it eats them up. I'm always very sure to turn OFF the device and then to lock the slider so that it can't turn on by itself while in the storage case, but this doesn't really seem to help.

Is this a known issue for all of these chinese made calipers? Or would it be worthwhile to buy a new set? (I have been eyeing the ones that can report in fractional inches)

FWIW, I have a set of genuine Japanese made Mitutoyo calipers and it has been on the same battery for years now. I know it's not a fair comparison though.
I have also experienced short battery life for my HF digital calapers , indoors , in my loading room . At " room temperature " .

I can't tell you which specific brands of Chinese calipers are worst for it but yes I do recall reading many complaints about this, also has something to do with always being partially turned on internally so memory position or you don't have to zero them (Maybe? Something? I don't recall at the moment.).

I recently got a Chinese Clockwise Tools DCLR-0605 that takes 1x CR2032 cell and am glad I did. It has much higher capacity than the LR44 cells, and lithium a longer shelf life than alkaline in general.

However it too has an issue related to the battery, that the electrical contact spring inside is a little weak and needs flexed up slightly. There have been review complaints about it where people didn't realize that was what needed done, but for the money paid I really like these for being accurate "enough", the big display, the battery, and not looking like a Chinese toy. I have not owned them long enough to tell you # of years the battery will last (still on original generic Chinese cell 1/2 year later), but the drain is very low and it comes with a 2nd one and I order bulk of CR2032 anyway due to many remotes, motherboards, et al that use this size battery.

Last edited:
I can't tell you which specific brands of Chinese calipers are worst for it but yes I do recall reading many complaints about this, also has something to do with always being partially turned on internally so memory position or you don't have to zero them (Maybe? Something? I don't recall at the moment.).

I recently got a Chinese Clockwise Tools DCLR-0605 that takes 1x CR2032 cell and am glad I did. It has much higher capacity than the LR44 cells, and lithium a longer shelf life than alkaline in general.

However it too has an issue related to the battery, that the electrical contact spring inside is a little weak and needs flexed up slightly. There have been review complaints about it where people didn't realize that was what needed done, but for the money paid I really like these for being accurate "enough", the big display, the battery, and not looking like a Chinese toy. I have not owned them long enough to tell you # of years the battery will last (still on original generic Chinese cell 1/2 year later), but the drain is very low and it comes with a 2nd one and I order bulk of CR2032 anyway due to many remotes, motherboards, et al that use this size battery.

That makes a lot of sense to get one that uses the CR cell. I will consider upgrading to one of those and donate my old one to charity.

I have a similar one and it uses 357 batt, had same issue, I just remove batt after using it, the case has a cutout for batt storage so there it goes.

I have the harbor freight calipers too and if I leave the battery in the next time I go to use them it’s dead. I now remove the battery when not in use.

10-15 years ago, at work we bought 3 or 4 of these, personal use (so not in the calibration system), for at our desks. One of my coworkers measured battery draw and found that it didn't matter if the unit was on or off, same current draw. Ever since I've simply stored mine with the battery, in the foam cutout like others have indicated. If I used it daily I'd leave in and just replace the battery as needed, but I use mine sporadically.

^ like someone who tries to extol the virtues of manual transmissions but deliberately ignores the many thousands of times you had to shift?

Mechanical dial calipers are going the way of the dinosaur, have no purpose when digital are cheaper, and are generally a PITA for ideologists who try to pretend it isn't significant to have to do the math to convert the reading. Having to do math to convert in this age is ridiculous.

Nostalgia is nice, and do whatever works for you, including using what you have, but a manual dial caliper is not a solution, just trading hassles.

On the other hand, I suspect that the manual caliper will last longer and I am a fan of long lasting tools, so there's that.

Not a fan of digital calipers (or most any measuring instrument).
Give a quality dial caliper any day, especially versus some Chinese crap.
My 6 & 12" Starrett's are ~40 years old.

If you're gonna go old school...
20200825_084125.jpg

ETA, apologies to the OP I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited:

I bought one of these (not HF) when they first came out, it was Chinese and if you didnt remove the battery it would be dead every time you went to use it. I tossed it in the bin and bought a Swiss made Brown&Sharpe, it has no problems with parasitic drain.

My experience is the same.

Keep dial calipers as backup.

Back