Chinese Copycat Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I remember as a kid, going to the open house at the General Electric plant in Peterborough and seeing a couple of chinese guys taking notes and looking very closely at everything. There was and probably still is alot of knowledge there on how to design and build large electric motors and generators that would take a decade or 2 to figure out starting from scratch...

My Great Grandfather designed much of the Hydro Electric generator equipment produced there. My Grandfather worked on it.

I have a number of friends who currently work there.

One of the worst copiers is Korea.

They put out quotes for people to build power infrastructure decades ago, requiring that as much work was done locally as possible...then started copying and doing their own.

I've seen a piece of gear refurbished in Korea that had at least 3 patent violations on it (one Japanese, two American).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I remember as a kid, going to the open house at the General Electric plant in Peterborough and seeing a couple of chinese guys taking notes and looking very closely at everything. There was and probably still is alot of knowledge there on how to design and build large electric motors and generators that would take a decade or 2 to figure out starting from scratch...

My Great Grandfather designed much of the Hydro Electric generator equipment produced there. My Grandfather worked on it.

I was pretty sure you're in Peterborough and I think I've seen your expedition around too, I'm in one of the several dozen forest green Neons buzzing around town.
What years did your Grandfathers work there?
My Dad was an engineer there until '94 when he got laid off, he now works with a few inspection agencies so he's in there witnessing tests for GE customers fairly often. Lots of big stuff, and he's into all the details. Can you believe that they balance a 10-20,000 hp electric motor down to adding grams of weight?
They use to be a bit wary of selling products to the chinese back in the 80's 90's as they knew any patented techniques or technology would be reverse engineered and copied. I still don't think China has a competitor yet to GE large motors but I don't really follow the business too much, just what my Dad tells me.
Ian

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Although they LOOK the same, they certainly don't perform the same. Here is a crash test from a counterfeit Chinese Isuzu Rodeo. I am shocked it has an air bag and that it actually deployed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ
That looks exactly like an Isuzu Rodeo. Are you sure they didn't just buy up the old machine tools and dies and start making the car in China?

Can you believe that they balance a 10-20,000 hp electric motor down to adding grams of weight?

I've just seen 60 tonne turbine rotors (250,000ish HP each), after having 3 hundred off 50lb blades replaced with new need the original balance weights moved through about 20 degrees.

The new blades come moment weighted, and have an installation map to minimise balancing requirements.

The 60 tonne Generator rotors (887 MVA) are balanced at 3,000RPM in a concrete bunker, powered by two locomotives as a power source...the winding retaining rings are "floated" at 3,600 RPM to seat them.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I was pretty sure you're in Peterborough and I think I've seen your expedition around too, I'm in one of the several dozen forest green Neons buzzing around town.
What years did your Grandfathers work there?
My Dad was an engineer there until '94 when he got laid off, he now works with a few inspection agencies so he's in there witnessing tests for GE customers fairly often. Lots of big stuff, and he's into all the details. Can you believe that they balance a 10-20,000 hp electric motor down to adding grams of weight?
They use to be a bit wary of selling products to the chinese back in the 80's 90's as they knew any patented techniques or technology would be reverse engineered and copied. I still don't think China has a competitor yet to GE large motors but I don't really follow the business too much, just what my Dad tells me.
Ian

PM Sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back