Chinese Copycat Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice car.
mini-copy_1390313i.jpg

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
When Japan got too expensive to employ their own people, they had to build assembly plants here.

Yes and no, Japanese in general have a very "strategic" vision from the government to the industry. Whatever they think is of national interest, the government will lead the way and give incentive for the industry to enter the R&D, financing, and all sorts of help.

In America, having the government broker truce between the union and the investor is considered "bail out" and "bought by the industry/union". You are on your own and therefore reward the activities with the highest ROI rather than the overall nation's interest first (i.e. the industrial strength rather than financial gain of investor or well being of the workers) .

We are capable of producing lower cost products at better quality than the real made in Japan products, both in the very high end and the very quick changing market. The Japanese still couldn't figure out how to anything other than DRAM and flash memory profitably. Their CPUs, wireless chips, DSPs, etc, are all limited to internal uses among their large conglomerates. Very rarely do you see any design outside the American or some European firms for these technologies and end products. Heck, even the Taiwanese can do a better job than the Japanese on many of these fast changing technologies.

Nonetheless they are darn good at perfecting a slow changing low tech products like TV, DVD, cars, to high volume, high quality, and high profit, when we would say it is "good enough" and move on to the next thing.

When talking about Chinese inventions someone always brings up gunpowder.

I find it funny in a way. The Chinese did invent it, but they used it in toys. The west took it but instead of making toys they used it to rule the world.

Originally Posted By: jsharp

I find it funny in a way. The Chinese did invent it, but they used it in toys. The west took it but instead of making toys they used it to rule the world.

Chinese did use it in some weapon in the past, but it was the Mongolian that use it to invade the rest of the world. I don't think anyone uses non TNT as gun powder nowadays.

Originally Posted By: jsharp

Not an expert, but I believe their knowledge of metal working was limited and did not allow them to make useful weapons (firearms), at least on a large scale.

I believe they did use rockets as weapons at one point.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Ice Cream and pasta are chinese??? Mori, you're gunna have to prove that one. Don't recall dairy being much of a trend in Asia -- ever. . .

More like shave ice and noodles.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

A few Chinese inventions:

gunpowder
matches
fireworks
crossbow
paper
ink
printing
paper money
toilet paper
silk
abacus
decimal system
sundial
astronomy
compass
kite
pottery wheel
porcelain
seismograph
medicine
ice cream
pasta

I find it interesting that the Chinese are credited with inventing TP. Seems like about every time I took a [censored] in mainland China, other than my hotel room kybo, there was no stinking paper. My first trip I resorted to notes with girl's phone numbers, business cards, and yes Chinese money when I was in a…..pinch. After that I always carried small packets of tissues. It's pretty funny when I would be in the vast office areas, in the most modern factories, to see the girls carrying their own rolls when they got up from their desks for a trip…...

Many of the cooler inventions I saw in the Taiwan National Museum. Fairly awesome. The problem with China is the series of purges (and killings) and cleaning out after the previous guy - they lost a lot of ground/history/incentive. The most recent purges, they killed some of the brightest and ambitious, driven "inventors" in some kind of effort of social planning and control. Yet - some areas never actually went full commie.

Medicine? hmm.....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I find it interesting that the Chinese are credited with inventing TP.

I just put that in there. You know I have no sense of humor.
crackmeup2.gif

I find it interesting that the Chinese are credited with inventing TP. Seems like about every time I took a [censored] in mainland China, other than my hotel room kybo, there was no stinking paper. My first trip I resorted to notes with girl's phone numbers, business cards, and yes Chinese money when I was in a…..pinch. After that I always carried small packets of tissues. It's pretty funny when I would be in the vast office areas, in the most modern factories, to see the girls carrying their own rolls when they got up from their desks for a trip…...

Many of the cooler inventions I saw in the Taiwan National Museum. Fairly awesome. The problem with China is the series of purges (and killings) and cleaning out after the previous guy - they lost a lot of ground/history/incentive. The most recent purges, they killed some of the brightest and ambitious, driven "inventors" in some kind of effort of social planning and control. Yet - some areas never actually went full commie.

Medicine? hmm.....

The lack of TP is not really due to the low living standard. It was a "tradition" much like you have to pay to use the toilet (our restroom) in the Europe. Bizarre? Sure, but that's their tradition even in Hong Kong.

That's why the #1 sales item in a news stand is no longer newspaper or magazine, but "tissue" (used for TP) and most people carry "tissue" with them when they go out.

Chinese didn't invent the modern TP, they invented the use of TP from the soft skin of a certain kind of tree, not sure what it was called, but we do have them in the state and it is the one that shed the outer layer of its skin, very "paper like". The rich have servant iron them with water to soften them before use. Hardly today's TP, but better than not wiping with anything disposable.

Noodles yes. Romans/Italians ate a lot of mashed grain and pulses....

Something that amazes me is how over the course of a few hundred years Europe change their diet so entirely.

What did ITalians andIrish eat before South America was discovered, and why did they change so dramatically and quickly to the new foods ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Noodles yes. Romans/Italians ate a lot of mashed grain and pulses....

Something that amazes me is how over the course of a few hundred years Europe change their diet so entirely.

What did ITalians andIrish eat before South America was discovered, and why did they change so dramatically and quickly to the new foods ?

Same reason they craved spices!!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I find it interesting that the Chinese are credited with inventing TP.

I just put that in there. You know I have no sense of humor.
crackmeup2.gif

You have a keen sense of humor. Of that I had no doubt.

Back to the subject at hand. I would love to date several of those lovelies near the duplicates.

You have a keen sense of humor.

I should change my name to keenhumor.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Although they LOOK the same, they certainly don't perform the same. Here is a crash test from a counterfeit Chinese Isuzu Rodeo. I am shocked it has an air bag and that it actually deployed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ

Future poor people are going to have to sacrifice safety for affordability.

Now I've always imagined this as the current game of "top this since we still need a job" ..just stopping at the current state of the art, but the Chinese appear to be devolving it to some 60's baseline.

In a land of 1.3-1.6B ..I don't think fatality numbers mean a whole lot until you get into our annual highway fatality rate in one event.

The traffic in China is so bad that they rarely drive above 30mph when I was there, and on the highway they rarely drive above 60mph. Crash test is pointless when people don't follow most traffic rules and most fatal accidents have to do with bicycles and pedestrians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back