chevy venture and high oil consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has 2001 chevy venture. mileage is about 40000 miles,but it could be higher,At least that what the mechanic said,When he was changing the spark plugs.Mechanic said,that as he was looking the plugs,mileage could be even over 70000 miles,because of the spark plugs were so bad shape.Anyway, it consumes oil after 2500 miles one quart.Is it too high oil consumption?
dunno.gif

Not a high rate of consumption.

The plugs should go 40K -100K as they were AC Plat. Did your Dad actually see them since no one goes to all the trouble of getting the back 3 out without putting new ones back in. If he saw them or the mechanic should be able to say too lean or too rich by looking.

I change them around 50K on GMV6 but more so I'm sure I can get them out without damaging the threads. The check engine light should come on if it has a US style OB2 sensor and if he had misfires due to worn or plugs/ wires that missed.

quote:

Originally posted by m2200b:
Is this the same mechanic that thinks your GM V6 will explode with 5-30?

Yes.the mechanic even told that 10w30 is too thin for my dads car too.So my dad is now driving with 10w40 dino.I told my dad that 10w30 is not too thin,because owners manual tells to use 5w30 or 10w30.But my dad said that because the mechanic is ex-nascar driver or something like that,he is trusting what the mechanic says.And another thing,old spark plugs were also a bit red,so the mechanic said that,it might leak engine coolant to the engine.Could it be possible?

quote:

Originally posted by JK:
ok i'm confused.

is the odometer not working?

Yes,it is working,but the mechanic said that because of the spark plugs were so bad shape he told that maybe the actual mileage is higher than the odometer is showing.the odometer only shows kilometers.it is showing 64000km. And it has speedometer that shows speed km/h. Because the chevy is import from kansas,should it have mph speedometer,rather than km/h speedometer??
confused.gif

Coolant in the chamber shows white on the tip.
Coolant on the mainfold may show wet and red around the base and mean an intake leak but that would be visible coolant a mechanic should be able to identify. What the heck he was close enough to get the plugs out? He's probably charging for the work plenty , why such lame followup?

You probably can't check the back bank of plugs visually now. You can check the front ones.

I'd do an oil test for coolant and look at the coolant for a possible head leak.

Hopefully this post isn't just another of your 10 - can cars use 30W, can I use green coolant, can coolant get in oil. Yes to all of those.

Oil in the coolant is usually the head warped or its gasket; coolant in the oil is more likely the intake gasket leaking. Mileage , KMeage doesn't matter on when either starts to leak so you'll never know the miles on the odometer before it was replaced with a KModometer.

Tonttu: I know that certain additives in gasoline can cause a reddish coating on plugs.
I have an 02' GM with the 3.1 and I use 5/30 in winter and 10/30 in summer with no problems. My manual calls for 5/30 year round but I am using the 10/30 in warmer weather because I already have it. As far as spark plugs go I have 64K on the original AC's which I believe are Iridium and made by NGK. They are still working flawlessly. I know that the rear 3 plugs are a pain in the a.. to get at so I'll use the OE plugs when its time to change them. Good luck.
PS: I have no problem with your 'can I use 30W oil, green coolant, etc..' questions. That's what this site is all about. Someone should lighten up a little.

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
LOL! a former NASCAR driver defected to Sweden?

And he is recommending your dad to run 10W40?!

LOL! (speechless)

Yes, im not sure if he is a nascar driver,but something like that.He has camaro race car.It looks like nascar car.

tonttu-

Not to challenge anyone or sounds like a *******, but IMHO been a race car driver of some sort doesn't necessarily implies that he knows more about motor oil than all other qualitifed engineers and mechanics.

I was a SCCA stock D class slalom race car driver in the past and back in those days I know less about motor oil than what I do now, especially after joining BITOG and learned more(much, much more) than I did in the past. Fortunately, I didn't ruin any of my cars simply because I stick with 10W30 all the way (switched to full synthetic as soon as they were available) and was able to get by a lot of cold, chilly winter mornings/nights with -36C and no engine block heater.

I still own one of these cars (my Mazda 323 with B6 block) and it's still running strong after so many years of faithful service under my rigid OCI regime. Did the AutoRx and now emission tests is like new again, except of having a rather lazy cat after so many years (still factory)

Just my thoughts on this oil subject. I know far more guys who claimed that they know everything and ruined their bearings/scuffed their cylinder bore simply because their oil pump was having an interesting time pumping thick motor oil during startups.... (grin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back