Chevy Trax cold start metal knock sound

How many miles on the vehicle (engine)?
The sound you describe reminds me of the VCT failure on my Honda.
It was replaced under warranty, but it made the exact same sound as you describe.

I'm assuming you have the same 1.4T that I had in my Chevy Cruze?
If so I'd give Mobil1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 a try and see if it quiets it down.
At 80K you're out of warranty and both of these Euro rated oils are excellent for your Euro designed engine (Opel I believe).

At 80K you're out of warranty and both of these Euro rated oils are excellent for your Euro designed engine (Opel I believe).
Yea 1.4 T. That's not too thick? Calls for 5w30

I’ve never heard piston slap last for a one second period. Takes longer than one second for the piston to expand on a slapping condition. Sounds to me like the initial rod knock some cars get before the oil pressure builds, or timing chain slap before pressure pushes out the plungers and tightens up the chain (if equipped). Usually either from excessive clearance or just bad filter’s letting the oil drain all the way out.

Yea 1.4 T. That's not too thick? Calls for 5w30
Na....the QS Euro 5w40 is approx. 13.4 cst @ 100*C which is on the low end for a 40W....I'd guess the other 2 are similar. I'd bet that Opel designed engine originally called for a 40W in Europe. Remember that Chevy has to spec. a dexos1 oil and there are no 40W dexos1 oils to my knowledge.
I'd bet you were doing that small turbo a favor using 0w40 or 5w40.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard piston slap last for a one second period. Takes longer than one second for the piston to expand on a slapping condition. Sounds to me like the initial rod knock some cars get before the oil pressure builds, or timing chain slap before pressure pushes out the plungers and tightens up the chain (if equipped). Usually either from excessive clearance or just bad filter’s letting the oil drain all the way out.

This has been my observation as well.

Do these conditions mean the end is near?

I thought this as well but without actually hearing it, hard to know for sure.

I would first change the filter. If that doesn’t solve it then try to pinpoint it by having someone else start it while you have the hood up and close to the engine. Might take a few tries.

Yes you are correct! The Chevy Trax, and Buick Encore started life as the Opel Mokka. Ironic that both models are now made in a plant owned by Stellantis......:rolleyes:

Attached is another You Tube video that shows the tensioner and chain parts. The rattle you may be hearing is the tensioner that is at the top of the engine between the two cam sprockets. Again, put some Liqui Moly in the engine to make sure the tensioner piston and servo is free and working under pressure as it should.

Referencing the above video.....this is why it is sooooooo IMPORTANT to keep clean oil in these engines with the plastic tensioner guides and turbos. Anyone who says that 10k oil changes are ok for these engine designs must have money to burn and throw at rebuilds.

Just my two cents.

Back