Chevy Trax cold start metal knock sound

When starting the Trax in the morning lately I hear an approximately one second long metal knocking sound, which then goes away quickly. It's pretty loud. It has been 30-40 degrees lately. 1K since recent oil change. Filter type is the UFI with the spring on it. Level seems fine. 80K miles. Really worrying me. Sounds similar to rod knock I think. Thanks.

I've heard the term before but I'm not sure what it is. Is it harmful?
Piston Slap Explained
“Piston slap is generally caused when the cold running clearance (piston-to-wall clearance) is large enough that when the piston rocks from side to side in the bore it “slaps” the side of the cylinder and causes noise,”

Usually it's harmless for the most part just an annoyance.

You are probably aware that the trax has two different filter applications.
Whether or not a wrong filter can describe the knocking I do not know.
Pretty sure the filter with the spring on top has a cap labeled Hengst.
YMMV

Reactions: pbm
You are probably aware that the trax has two different filter applications.
Whether or not a wrong filter can describe the knocking I do not know.
Pretty sure the filter with the spring on top has a cap labeled Hengst.
YMMV
I am aware. The UFI cap designates the one with the spring. I always provide the filter. Tha k you, though!

Most definitely do a filter change. Piston Slap is not common with this motor, and you'd have it since new, it wouldn't just show up.

Most definitely do a filter change. Piston Slap is not common with this motor, and you'd have it since new, it wouldn't just show up.
Hardcore, C502 is correct. I have this same engine in my Encore. Another thing that you might try is to add some Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive to engine after you sort / confirm the oil filter type. These engines are turbo charged and thus create a fair amount of combustion soot that travels through the engine. It is important to make sure that you keep the engine clean with regular changes as much as possible.

Hardcore, C502 is correct. I have this same engine in my Encore. Another thing that you might try is to add some Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive to engine after you sort / confirm the oil filter type. These engines are turbo charged and thus create a fair amount of combustion soot that travels through the engine. It is important to make sure that you keep the engine clean with regular changes as much as possible.
Just bought a 2 pack. Gotta make this car last another 2 years.

Back