Chevy Lumina: Which Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright...it's about time, and I have to decide.

I gonna run a 15w-40 "diesel" oil in it, and I have to decide between the big three...rotella, delo, or delvac.

I know I posted something like this before, but I thought I'd ask one more time.

Is there any reason I should pick one over the other??

So far, it looks like my choice is between the Delo 400 and the Delvac 1300 Super...both have pour points that seem to meet 10w specs (and Mobil advertises this point). Rotella doesn't even seem to be close in this regard (although I could be wrong)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Justin.

....Maybe you could forget them all and try Mobil Delvac 1 5/40 synthetic. It's a little more money but there would be no doubt as to the quality of the additive package and you'd have a better cold starting flow characteristic.

Justin,

Why do you want to run such a'heavy' oil in your lumina when it is spec'd for 5W-30?

I drove one for many years in a blistering climate, lots of idling with the A/C on and I was using dino 5W-30. Never burned any oil and never had problems with it.

I'm just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by DEWFPO:
Justin,

Why do you want to run such a'heavy' oil in your lumina when it is spec'd for 5W-30?

I drove one for many years in a blistering climate, lots of idling with the A/C on and I was using dino 5W-30. Never burned any oil and never had problems with it.

I'm just curious.

Well, first off, mine is using oil...but that's not to say that it hasn't been a great ride. It probably has haul/towed more and seen more mud than most pickup trucks.

Nevertheless, it does have 110,000 miles on it, and the years of running 5w and 10w-30 have left lots of "gunk" inside the engine.

I figure a 15w-40 HD oil will clean out a good portion of that "gunk" over time and will also provide an added layer of protection when working hard in the heat. On top of that, it might just stop (or significantly reduce) the oil consumption.

Is this a Van or car.

My friend has a 1997 Lumina sedan with 130,000 miles. They bought it used about 2 yrs ago from a drug salesman who traveled about 1000 miles a week. Pd $2500 for it with new tires, he says the engine runs great and uses no oil. The salesman used Mobil 1 in it.

Justin,

How did you ever make out with the 15W40 oil? I am in a similar position to you. Which oil did you choose? How did the thicker oil affect your consumption?

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Is this a Van or car.

My friend has a 1997 Lumina sedan with 130,000 miles. They bought it used about 2 yrs ago from a drug salesman who traveled about 1000 miles a week. Pd $2500 for it with new tires, he says the engine runs great and uses no oil. The salesman used Mobil 1 in it.

This thread talks about Delvac 5/40 Synthetic. I just wondered after seeing it used in a Titan how its use in gasoline engines would compare. I have the Valvoline 5/40 in my wifes car and it seems to like it after running GC. I am going back to GC soon for winter.But of the 5/40 oils Valvoline, Amsoil, Delvac which would give you the best life and wear #ers.
smile.gif

It could be that a AutoRX cleanup would be beneficial here. When the AutoRX is finished you may find oil consumption is greatly reduces and you could continue with the recomended viscosity oil. just a thought. ED

15w-40 would be fine, but a bit too thick on those handful of cold winter mornings. I would suggest Pennzoil's 10w-40 High Mileage as an alternative on the thicker end of the spectrum. And PZ 5w-30 HM for something not so thick.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
It could be that a AutoRX cleanup would be beneficial here. When the AutoRX is finished you may find oil consumption is greatly reduces and you could continue with the recomended viscosity oil. just a thought. ED

I agree. That engine doesn't need a 40 wt oil.

A good compromise between the expensive $5+ /qt Delvac and the inappropriately quick 15W40 oils would be Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 at around $3/qt. It's just a Group III synthetic, but generally highly regard, plus it will flow quite nicely anywhere in KY at any time of year.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:

Yeah>ED is soooooooooooooooooooo right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back