Chevy LS engine oil pickup O ring replacement on 4x4 trucks

Depending on the yr model of the LS, another source of oil pressure loss is the VLOM (valley cover) under the intake manifold. There are towers cast into the block that carry oil pressure to the VLOM that are prone to leak with age.

Depending on the yr model of the LS, another source of oil pressure loss is the VLOM (valley cover) under the intake manifold. There are towers cast into the block that carry oil pressure to the VLOM that are prone to leak with age.
So the VLOM ( valve lifter oil manifold ) is a feature that comes with engines with AFM, correct? The issue probably needs its own thread. Is it very common?

Last edited:
If the rear cover is leaking there’s a good chance that it will leak worse afterwards, when removing the pan you take the torque off those rear bolts going into the cover and when torquing them down on reassembly it will shift the cover ever so slightly because it’s not exactly lined up where it originally was causing it to leak worse.

If the rear cover is leaking there’s a good chance that it will leak worse afterwards, when removing the pan you take the torque off those rear bolts going into the cover and when torquing them down on reassembly it will shift the cover ever so slightly because it’s not exactly lined up where it originally was causing it to leak worse.
I guess thats possible for a lateral leak, but it’s the oil pan gasket that provides the seal at the bottom of the plate.

6FD96387-CE93-4266-9B01-2C01F7855BF8.png

I guess thats possible for a lateral leak, but it’s the oil pan gasket that provides the seal at the bottom of the plate.

View attachment 137585
I know what the cover looks like, I’m not saying that the oil pan/rear cover seal is going to leak. The gasket for the cover where it seals to the block will leak, it’s not uncommon for them to leak anyways regardless of changing the oil pan seal or not.

Its been my experience that the LS rear main seal cover doesn't budge when the oil pan is removed and re-installed.
The 2 long oil pan bolts that screw into the rear cover are only torqued to 106 inch #s. There are 12 bolts holding the rear main cover in place.
I'll be dropping and reinstalling my 07 Denalis 6.2L oil pan again soon.
Here's a YT vid on how to do the o-ring without removing the oil pan:

Back