Chevy 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am buying a used Chevy 3500 cargo van. Any concerns for the 6.0 engine??? Good reputation??

What year?

Good motors but gas pigs in older applications( newer 6.0L's with AFM are much more fuel efficient - afm really helps that motor unlike the 5.3L that it does little to nothing for ).

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Piston slapper!!!

Indeed, but it's not a big problem.

The 6.0L is a good engine IMO, especially since they don't have the stupid intake gasket problems like the previous generation GM V-8s.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Piston slapper!!!

So was the 5.3L. The piston slap/cold start knock issue for the most part is in 03 and earlier trucks. By 04/05 GM changed the sleeve and the issue mainly went away( not completely - plus they suffer from carbon build up on the piston dome which makes a simialr noise ).That was why I asked what year.

While GM claims it is not a problem a piston rattling around inside the cylinder until the engine warms up, and everything expands to proper tolerance/clearance, does not inspire confidence in me. I would not buy a truck that had the infamous GM piston slap issue. Some get so bad they are louder than a 300,000 mile diesel!
shocked2.gif

Here is a 6.0L w/ PS in a Denalli...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVeNYDsA8eU

Last edited:
The 5.3s,6.0s and 4.8s do have problems with the intake gaskets.They blow out sucking in air causing a miss if a missfire code comes up and run bad.The intake gaskets are clipped on the intake and no coolant passages are not in the intake.

It seems like 6.0s can have very different performance depending on the application.

I have been in a 2002 or 2003 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0. I can't remember if it was 2WD or 4WD. It was dog slow and couldn't spin the tires at all. I think something may have been wrong with it, though there was no CEL and it seemed to be running okay.

On the other hand, I have been in a 2004 Sierra 1500 2WD with the 6.0. That truck was very quick and had no trouble towing a 18'-20' boat.

Most parts stores stock the intake gaskets for the 4.8s,5.3s and 6.0s.The Carquest parts store in my area does stock them knowing they a big problem

Originally Posted By: jerre310
It's a 2006 with 21,000 miles. It has warranty until November.

The 6.0 is a great engine!!!,pull the trigger and sleep good at night.

It is a gas hog and the 5.3 gets better fuel mileage.If you want to know the differance betwen the fuel mileage between the 6.0 and the 8.1,there is none.The 6.0 has the 4L80E behind it for the transmission,is bulletproof and very expensive to rebuild if it breaks.Jasper did fix the piston slap in the 5.3s and 6.0s,puts in upgraded pistons with a teflon coated skirt and throws the factory pistons away.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
While GM claims it is not a problem a piston rattling around inside the cylinder until the engine warms up, and everything expands to proper tolerance/clearance, does not inspire confidence in me. I would not buy a truck that had the infamous GM piston slap issue. Some get so bad they are louder than a 300,000 mile diesel!
shocked2.gif

Sold my 1997 Monte Carlo with the 3100 engine at 194K miles. Always made the piston slapping sound, but never had any problems because of it, when I sold it, it didn't burn a drop of oil and pulled as strong as the day it was new. In fact, after warming up, it might have been one of the quietest running engines of any car I've ever owned or been in.

My 1999 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 also has a bit of the piston slap at 176K miles. Also runs just fine, and burns no oil (but does leak plenty of it).

A co-worker of mine had a 1999 3/4 ton, 2WD, with the 6.0L. It was a service vehicle in a previous life and had close to 200Kmi on it when he sold it (had over 100Kmi on it when he bought it). Anyhoo, at ~200Kmi it needed nothing but normal wear/tear work done. All original exhaust and 02 sensors even. He traded it on a 2004 Duramax a few years ago thinking he was going to save on fuel costs. NOT!! I'd say the 6.0L is a fine truck drivetrain.

06%206.0L%20V8%20LQ4%20EX2%20LoR.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
So, what can I expect for gas mileage?
06 Express HD 3500 cargo van, 6.0, rear axle 3.73 ratio, white paint, round tires!

Will be hauling about 30 case of oil at all times. I will also haul up to 60-70 cases plus 55 gallon drums, and pull a 10' trailer with a load of oil once a month.

All fluids and filters will be Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It seems like 6.0s can have very different performance depending on the application.

I have been in a 2002 or 2003 Suburban 2500 with a 6.0. I can't remember if it was 2WD or 4WD. It was dog slow and couldn't spin the tires at all. I think something may have been wrong with it, though there was no CEL and it seemed to be running okay.

On the other hand, I have been in a 2004 Sierra 1500 2WD with the 6.0. That truck was very quick and had no trouble towing a 18'-20' boat.

That's because there's a number of 6.0L's available. The 3/4 Tons and the vans get the LQ4 with iron heads and lower compression. The Escalades, Denali's, Silverado SS and Silverado/Sierra Vortec Max (all 1500 trucks non "1500HD") got the LQ9 367HP, 375TQ with higher compression and aluminum heads.

Your buddy with the pickup probably had the vortec max. The suburban had the LQ4 (300-325HP and 360TQ).

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

That's because there's a number of 6.0L's available. The 3/4 Tons and the vans get the LQ4 with iron heads and lower compression. The Escalades, Denali's, Silverado SS and Silverado/Sierra Vortec Max (all 1500 trucks non "1500HD") got the LQ9 367HP, 375TQ with higher compression and aluminum heads.

Your buddy with the pickup probably had the vortec max. The suburban had the LQ4 (300-325HP and 360TQ).

Good info other than the earlier 1500's & SS trucks w/ the LQ9 only had 345 HP( 380 FTLBS ). The 367 HP version w/ 375 FTLBS didn't arrive in the 1500's( VMAX badge on truck )until 07 with the new body style( GMT900 ). Those engines are designated L76 and have VVT and AFM. The 07 NBS+ HD trucks run the 353 HP LY6 w/o AFM.

06 Express HD 3500 cargo van, 6.0, rear axle 3.73 ratio, white paint, round tires!

Will be hauling about 30 case of oil at all times. I will also haul up to 60-70 cases plus 55 gallon drums, and pull a 10' trailer with a load of oil once a month.

Don't expect much. Seriously.

Empty maybe an average of 14+/- and loaded up = OY!

We've got an 08 Savanna HD XL, 6.0, 3.73 rear end with 10k miles on it right now. Was getting 13-13.5 mixed driving, and now it's dropped to 12.5-13 for some reason. I've lowered the air pressure in the tires from 70 psi down to 60 due to uneven tire wear (center). I just had the rear diff fluid changed using amsoil SG 75w90 from my mechanic for $50 labor only. I hope like [censored] he in fact used the amsoil and didn't stash it and use another dino. I'll be [censored] off big time.
Oh, btw....the 6.0 loves the ASL/EAO50 combo. Cold start noises dissappeared when we switched, and even runs quieter when warm.

I think the only difference between the 3500 and 2500 is one extra leaf spring is all. I think so anyway.
I'd really like to weigh our van; it sure does seem like a dog for power until you get into the r's a bit. Mid and high rpm's are descent, but low sucks big time. I do not like the way the trans shifts when accelerating. It seems like you have to floor it before it will down shift. Other than that, it's been a good van so far.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

We've got an 08 Savanna HD XL, 6.0, 3.73 rear end with 10k miles on it right now. Was getting 13-13.5 mixed driving...

Sounds normal. There's not a full sized van out there, 6cyl or otherwise that does more than high teens for fuel mileage even on the hywy. You might as well get a big V8.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back