Chevron’s response to lowered ZDDP in their Delo 400 HDDEOs.

Seems to me Chevron is doing some amazing things and leading the way in R&D while some of their competitors are coasting on their name..
I agree.
And in my opinion, Chevron has been very much a pioneer in the advancement of motor oils. Especially their Delo line of HDEO’s.

I’ve used Dual rated CK4/SN Delo 400 HDEOs in my Series 60 Detroit motor for roughly 300,000 miles, and it’s still running strong.

I got this response from Chevron in August of 2019.
5A5E7184-0B53-4EBF-8B26-A6688ACA490A.png
AFF6ABF1-4F39-4C94-B47C-4DE4B21F834F.png

This is interesting to me. A lot of people with classic cars and older engines with flat tappet cams like to use HDEOs for their higher ZDDP content. I'd like to see a tear down of a SBC with a rather radical flat tappet cam after heavy use with this oil compared to the old formula to see if the ashless AW can truly substitute 30% of the ZDDP content with similar or better wear protection.
We do know what High Performance Lubricants said.

Their very robust add packs, which by the way start with Chevron components and include Chevron basestocks, produce superb results.

I will always be very concerned with emissions system integrity as well as wear, with mega miles accrued, similar to on the road truckers...that's the world I live in.

I like my zinc/phosphorus...no flat tappets here, just hydraulic tappets and precise, laser clad valves seats.

I specifically chose HPL HDMO SL over HPL SP RC.

If there is no wear, who cares about "ashless" ???

Last edited:
I got this response from Chevron in August of 2019.
When I contacted Yokohama with questions about my tires I also was given a cell number to Text message the customer service rep. I guess texting is the new thing haha
Thanks for sharing!

We do know what High Performance Lubricants said.

Their very robust add packs, which by the way start with Chevron components and include Chevron basestocks, produce superb results.

I will always be very concerned with emissions system integrity as well as wear, with mega miles accrued, similar to on the road truckers...that's the world I live in.

I like my zinc/phosphorus...no flat tappets here, just hydraulic tappets and precise, laser clad valves seats.

I specifically chose HPL HDMO SL over HPL SP RC.

If there is no wear, who cares about "ashless" ???
the people with DPF.....that crap is a nightmare....'re-gens' and eventual replacements....it's an unfortunate bully, but seems to be here to stay....

"...As it relates specifically to ZDDP, we don’t just simply drop the level of wear protection. Instead, the additive package is rebalanced with other non-Zinc containing wear control additives, and other functional components that allow us to meet or exceed the performance requirements using the fully formulated finished oil.

Oil formulation is a balancing act, and we know that in many cases “less is more”. As such, supplemental additives that purport to enhance wear protection may in fact have the opposite effect. It can also introduce other unpredictable issues regarding seal compatibility, or general interference with the other components that are native to the formulation."
True.

the people with DPF.....that crap is a nightmare....'re-gens' and eventual replacements....it's an unfortunate bully, but seems to be here to stay....
But why, I don't understand. I've 2 different trucks now that have dpf. No nightmare, can hardly tell when in regen. Except for the fact I have to add fluid every 5k or so. The only scenario I think they are bad is trucks that idle a lot, like ambulance service.

But why, I don't understand. I've 2 different trucks now that have dpf. No nightmare, can hardly tell when in regen. Except for the fact I have to add fluid every 5k or so. The only scenario I think they are bad is trucks that idle a lot, like ambulance service.
DPF not DEF, some have both, but neither one adds to reliability.

Well yes DPF can fail...but it usually fails with those drivers who bought their TDi to drive it to the curch and back home on a sunny sunday :) If you drive your TDi car properly, DPF wont fail by itself....

Last edited:
Don't you dare state on here that off the shelf oils don't have your engines longevity and reliability as their top priority! It is also a sin to state that thin oils bad and only mandated by the EPA/CAFE to auto manufactures to meet MANDATORY fleet MPG goals.

Get ready for the BITOG "experts" to unleash on you about how perfect Mobil and other off the shelf oils are!

I don't think any major blender would ignore Ford's requirements. There are plenty of Powerstrokes on the road and they keep selling them.

I expect them to meet the CK4 and Ford spec' but might take them a little time to get on the list. Or, they'll have to keep a bulk supply of equivalent oil or lose a ton of business.

Back