Chevron vs. Mobil 1 - OPINIONS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard some good things about Chevron oils. I currently run Mobil 1SS 5W-30 with 5k-5500 mile intervals on a 2002 Tacoma V6. I was wondering if the Chevron Supreme synthetic in the same weight would be better or if I would be better staying with the SuperSyn.

THANKS>

Scoo...
By the time you wear out that TOY you will be an old man.
I'm going to get flamed and shot for this comment, but if that was my truck and living in your climate, I'd be using a 5W40.

quote:

I'm going to get flamed and shot for this comment, but if that was my truck and living in your climate, I'd be using a 5W40.

lol.gif

How true, mention anything thicker than XW-30 and you run the risk of being told it's too thick. I dared to suggest 15W-50 for my own car in hot (100 degr F) weather, and I was pretty much shot down.
wink.gif

user:
I may do that after 60k miles. Until then I am gonna stick with factory recommendation. Dont wanna give them any ammo if I have any problems. Know what I mean?

Anyway, any thoughts on the Mobil 1 vs. Chevron synthetic?

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
mention anything thicker than XW-30 and you run the risk of being told it's too thick. I dared to suggest 15W-50 for my own car in hot (100 degr F) weather, and I was pretty much shot down.
wink.gif

Too thick! Too thick! j/k
grin.gif

But seriously, I cannot speak of what's best for your 2.8, but check out this set of UOAs from a 1.8T in south Florida, running M1 5w-30 and M1 0w-40. It's really hard to say that running 0w-40 had any benefit.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000475

quote:

Too thick! Too thick!

PETE!!!

tongue.gif

Well, for now I'm sticking with M1 0W-40, which fulfills VW 502.00. I might give Lobro Moly or Pentosynth a try. Both are 5W-40 and meet VW 502.00. Since the M1 0W-40 is so hard to find (It's always sold out), I migth as well order one of those slightly more "exotic" oils. Maybe I'd even be willing to do an UOA.
wink.gif

JeepZJ4.0, good question. Their distribution system is kinda all over the place. Walmarts around here carry Delo400 in 15W30, some auto jobbers carry the same oil in 30W. Walmart also carries their 5W30, 10W30 and 10W40 Supreme ... but the inventory and selection varies widely from store to store. Good luck finding the stuff.

If you REALLY weant to use their (generally very good) oils, you'll probably have top search (phone/internet) for a local distributor who deals generally with commercial accounts. He (or she) may refer you to a specific jobber or sell directly to you ... possibly only in significant quantities.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back