Chevron Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Chevron Supreme 5w30 for years and it was a good experience. Would not hesitate to use it in any application that calls for the spec.

Any point in me using 10W-30 over 5W-30 when the manual says either or? Always run 10W-30, but if it will flow better at start, is there any difference?

Originally Posted By: Hdzx
Any point in me using 10W-30 over 5W-30 when the manual says either or? Always run 10W-30, but if it will flow better at start, is there any difference?

I've been using 5W30 but might try 10W30 next time around. In theory, 10W30 is less volatile (NOACK) and is more shear stable. The 5W30, however, might provide easier starts in cold weather and slightly better fuel economy. The differences are probably minor.

If the 10W30 and 5W30 were formulated the same, both semi-synthetic, then yes the 10W30 would be my pick for lower Noack volatility and better shear stability.

BUT, I suspect they are not formulated the same, since Chevron make a point of saying the 5W20 & 5W30 are semi-synthetic only for these two grades, they don't say it for the other grades - so I assume the 10W30 is conventional. Saying an oil is SS has marketing value, so you say it if you can.

Given this, I would be happy with either, but probably pick the 5W30 SS. But as the poster above said, probably only minor differences. A PQIA analysis of both would be great.

BTW a 10W oil is good down to 0F / -20C (and maybe a bit lower). Once you are nicely above this temp, say at freezing, then with a positive displacement pump you will pump both oils (10W & 5W) much the same and both get to the top of the engine much the same.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Why is this oil so cheap? It's the cheapest name brand oil inside Walmart at $11.77.

Why is this oil so cheap? Have you ever seen Chevron promote their Supreme line? No advertisement, low overhead. I suppose a rebate is some sort of promo...A money losing one.

I believe it is on roll back right now, although it is always one of the lowest cost basis, big name oils on the market. I used it on my resale autos for 20 years. I bought it by the case at sam's club. Chevron does not make a bad product period.

"There is a $5.00 rebate per 5 qt jug in product rebates, sales and promotions"

Walmart is NOT a qualified retailer for this rebate.

I haven't visited here in awhile... here's a link to Chevron's Supreme Oil.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=205060&docFormat=PDF

It is a product slick sheet pdf stating that their 5W-30 is a synthetic-blend oil. It appears to be the only one of the different weights to be a syn-blend.

I run this in my Silverado and accomplish 4K mile OCI's. It's really good oil (rated GM 6094M only) and is available at Costco in a 12-count box for a great price.
smile.gif

Oh, I've settled on Fram Ultra filters for Alaska as well -- the XG3506 or XG3506S for my older Silverado's 5.3L V-8.

Last edited:
Normally priced, Chevron Supreme is HALF the price of Mobil1 at Costco.

Chevron Supreme is NOT half the oil, i.e. it's worth every penny paid.

And a correction to my post above... both the 5w-20 and 5w-30 weights of Chevron Supreme are syn-blends.

BTW, I've driven up and down the Al-Can Hwy several times using Chevron Supreme in my old 4.3L W-code and newer Vortec 5300 Gen III engines. It's good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveG4
Normally priced, Chevron Supreme is HALF the price of Mobil1 at Costco.

Chevron Supreme is NOT half the oil, i.e. it's worth every penny paid.

And a correction to my post above... both the 5w-20 and 5w-30 weights of Chevron Supreme are syn-blends.

BTW, I've driven up and down the Al-Can Hwy several times using Chevron Supreme in my old 4.3L W-code and newer Vortec 5300 Gen III engines. It's good stuff.

I agree. About 10 years ago this site went from offering common sense advice to a bunch of syn must be used in everything from a lawnmower to a Lamborghini.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

I agree. About 10 years ago this site went from offering common sense advice to a bunch of syn must be used in everything from a lawnmower to a Lamborghini.

Dave I use my left over top off Full Synthetic in my Briggs on my mower. But seriously I wouldn't waste my money on a Lamborghini.

Originally Posted By: Garak
My OPE is where I break all my OCD oil rules - obscure viscosities, switching brands and viscosities every time, even using a monograde on occasion.
wink.gif

I did that briefly but then decided in a “sling lube” system I’m going to run the OEM “hot” viscosity … just not thier brand …
Not sure why some of them recommend 5w30 instead of 10w30 … guess it’s a one size fits all if that same motor could have multiple uses in various temps … but 10w30 works down here …

Originally Posted By: Hdzx
Temps at starting?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I did that briefly but then decided in a “sling lube” system I’m going to run the OEM “hot” viscosity … just not thier brand …
Not sure why some of them recommend 5w30 instead of 10w30 … guess it’s a one size fits all if that same motor could have multiple uses in various temps … but 10w30 works down here …

For me, it basically all works. Yes, we have -40 C weather and I have a snowblower. However, it's kept in a heated garage in the winter, so it's started at no less than 10 C ambient, so even a monograde works perfectly fine for that piece of equipment, regardless of the weather outside. Of course, it's not running 16 hours a day at full throttle near overheating, so I don't need to fear an ILSAC 5w-30 in it, either, if that's what happens to be on my shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back