Chevron rykon premium mv alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Framer
Originally Posted by Newman88
Ok, good info I used Sinopec ISO AW32 hydraulic oil. Let me post the "info" and see what you guys think.

https://buysinopec.com/collections/hydraulics/products/aw-hydraulic-iso-32-55-gallon-drum

if you click on the link to the data sheet, it says the viscosity index is 103
and if you take the quote from the genie manual, you want to use a oil with a minimum viscosity index of 140

....only relevant for starting temp at minus 30*C (minus 22*F) or thereabout, bearing in mind shear-stability tendency.
Sinopec AW32/46 should be good to go at starting temp of minus 15*C ( 5*F) and up.

Last edited:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge in oils, so your saying it's ok to run it? Or is it something I should replace ASAP?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in oils, so your saying it's ok to run it? Or is it something I should replace ASAP?

Short answer is ,probably ok.

Long answer is ..............

*First, is your coldest starting temperature at minus 15*C (5* F) and up ?

And, next question in terms of components durability is :
Originally Posted by zeng
What's the AW 32 typical operating temperature (at full load) ?

Or alternatively at high loads , could your fingers touch AND hold on to hottest components for a second or more ?

Edit:George's guides above may be a base to start off in assessing an oil (grade's) suitability in specific applications.

Last edited:
Lowest Temp we get here in the South West 30°+ hottest is 100°-107°F.

When it had the Chevron Rykon premium MV, I used a temp gun directly to the distribution valve box and on the hydraulic tank and always had temps ranging from 110-140°F on 90-105° temps. With the Sinopec its been close 90-120°F but we haven't had 90°F+ yet so it may vary.
Thanks again guys.

you might be alright then, since you dont use equipment in extreme cold. but i do use my machines in freezing weather a lot.

Lowest Temp we get here in the South West 30°+ hottest is 100°-107°F.

When it had the Chevron Rykon premium MV, I used a temp gun directly to the distribution valve box and on the hydraulic tank and always had temps ranging from 110-140°F on 90-105° temps. With the Sinopec its been close 90-120°F but we haven't had 90°F+ yet so it may vary.
Thanks again guys.

The lowest 30*F + isn't an issue for AW 32/46 probably including AW 68/100 as well.
As for components protection, 21'ish cSt operating viscosity for AW 32 at 120*F is more than adequate in reference to George's 16-36 cSt 'guides' above .
A thickie in me won't opt for AW 46 or Rykon Premium MV in this 'light' application of yours , hence as is AW 32 should be left alone , IMHO.
Having said this, be wary of operating temperature increase in the event of increased operating loads though as operating viscosity drops .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Framer
i have a genie aerial lift that calls for 'chevron rykon premium mv' hydraulic fluid on the tank label. Machine is about 10 years old and I want to change out all the hydraulic fluid.
According to the manual:
----
"Chevron Rykon MV oil is fully compatible and
mixable with Shell Donax TG (Dexron III) oils.
Genie specifications require hydraulic oils which are
designed to give maximum protection to hydraulic
systems, have the ability to perform over a wide
temperature range, and the viscosity index should
exceed 140. They should provide excellent antiwear,
oxidation, corrosion inhibition, seal conditioning, and
foam and aeration suppression properties."

So my question is what can I buy that is readily available that will work?

If Dexron III can replace it then one could use a a fluid with a Dexron III viscosity which is 7.5 cst@100, or an Anti-Wear hydraulic fluid of ISO 46 viscosity.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

I would investigate the Schaeffer Oil #254 in an ISO rating of 46:

https://www.schaefferoil.com/hydraulic-fluids.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back