Chevron MD-3 ATF: ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kragen stores near me no longer appear to carry Chevron Dexron-III/Mercon ATF, but rather have in the shelf space stuff labelled "MD-3". The price tags at the bottom of the shelf still say "Chevron Dex-III" or something similar.

OK, "MD-3" sounds like an obvious abbreviation of "Mercon/Dexron-III" but the labelling on the back makes this far from completely clear.

I can't find anything online about the Chevron, but Havoline MD-3 ATF is described on their site here.

Quote:

Havoline Automatic Transmission Fluid MD-3 is a passenger car and light truck automatic transmission fluid for most pre-2006 automatic transmissions built by General Motors, Ford Motor Company and other makes requiring a high-performance, multi-purpose, power transmission fluid.

They appear to be very carefully avoiding the Mercon or Dexron-III labels, which strikes me as curious.

They mention that this stuff may not be suitable if Type F, ATF+4, Mercon-V, or Dexron-VI are required for a specific application.

Essentially, they seem to be talking all around the Ford and GM specs, without coming right out and using them. Is that what's going on, and if so why?

I recall reading something about both Mercon and Dexron 3 licenses expiring and the OEM's not renewing them in favor of the newer fluids (Mercon V and Dex6). Just guessing here.

When DexIII license expired, Allison(GM company) still needed a DexIII fluid. They came out with the TES-389 spec.
This new Allison spec is a clone of Dex-III-h/Mercon.

If your transmission uses DexronII/III or Mercon, feel free to use any TES-389 fluid.

Quote:

I recall reading something about both Mercon and Dexron 3 licenses expiring and the OEM's not renewing them in favor of the newer fluids (Mercon V and Dex6). Just guessing here.

Upon the expiration of the Dex3 licenses, vendors can no longer claim Dex3 approval nor use the terms Dex3/Mercon on the labels. I just got back from my friend's house, and he had a bottle of Supertech Dex3 there that was acquired quite recently. Note the new labeling:

IMG_0219edited.jpg

IMG_0220edited.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back